• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I am trying to open indesign documents, use indesign and/or quit indesign the same message pops up " Cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active". I have no clue what to do and am very desperate ! please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

If you cannot shut down your Mac, here are some methods, at least one of which should work:

(1) On most Mac models, you can force an application to Force Quit. Press Cmd + Option + Escape, and you'll see a dialog like this:

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 5.29.18 AM.png

Select Adobe InDesign and Force Quit.

(2) That's the best way, but if it doesn't work, you can press the Power button on most Macs and you'll be given a Restart or Shut Down option which would shut down all your applications.

(3) Unplug your computer as a last resort.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restarting your computer.

Try resetting the preferences

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

If the above don't help post to this forum an image of your screen including the message and the entire InDesign interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am unable to shut my mac book down. i am stuck

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 12.11.04.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-21 at 12.11.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hold down the Command, Option and Escape keys you will bring up a Force Quit Applications box. Can you kill InDesign from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brilliant thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you cannot shut down your Mac, here are some methods, at least one of which should work:

(1) On most Mac models, you can force an application to Force Quit. Press Cmd + Option + Escape, and you'll see a dialog like this:

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 5.29.18 AM.png

Select Adobe InDesign and Force Quit.

(2) That's the best way, but if it doesn't work, you can press the Power button on most Macs and you'll be given a Restart or Shut Down option which would shut down all your applications.

(3) Unplug your computer as a last resort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brilliant thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is not that I don't know how to quit it, but simply out of the sudden I can't use Indesign because of this message 'Indesign cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active'

Does anybody know how I can resolve this? I tried to uninstall and reinstall the programm but nothing has changed and I'm really struggling to know what to do... Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you ever figure out the problem? Im having the same issue where I can force quit the app easily but it simply won't work or open documents. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, try this video. It helped me to open new documents / it hasn't been the same tho (somehow it doesn't save the history but at least I can open new documents and work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvzPcuMThXk&t=33s

Hope you'll be able to make it work!

This video is about how to resolve issue of creating new document dialogue window for working with Adobe InDesign in very short time. #adobe indesign#indesign#adobe indesign tutorial#indesign tutorial#adobe indesign cc#indesign cc#adobe indesign cc 2018#adobe#how to use adobe indesign#adobe ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Helped me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_1878.JPG

 It may be helful with a New Year Production 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this does not solve the problem. it quits the app but the problem comes back when it is opened again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. When I try to launch get that dialogue and can't go any further. Happens with all Creative Cloud software 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer wasnt a fix, it was just a solution on how to quit indesign. We all want to know how to resolve the issue so it doesnt persist. Force quiting in the middle of your work kinda sucks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this issue. I fixed it by:
1) Go to creative cloud.
2) Uninstall Indesign.
3) Reinstall Indesign.
Once I reinstalled the app. Everything was working properly and I could open all my files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the solution that worked for you. I am sure it will help other community members. If it happens again, before uninstalling, you can try to close Adobe-related processes from the task manager/activity monitor and restart your computer then check again. 

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines