• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My InDesign has always worked fine with no issues until today, I went to open a new document whilst working on a current one (which has been saving fine with no problems) and instead of anything opening, the app just froze. All options for everything were greyed out. I force quit the application, restarted my computer... still had the same issue. I then shut it down properly and updated the app, still had the same issue. I don't know what to do and I'm so stressed as I have final deadlines coming up with absolutely no time to waste. 

I'm working on a 2019 Macbook pro, with the most up to date version of InDesign - please help!!!

* I have also read previous threads/discussions but nothing helps to resolve my issue. 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also now tried uninstalling the application completely, and then re downloading it and the exact same thing is happening. I am so close to tears at this point as I have no clue what to do to fix this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off GPU acceleration..

You may need to run the cleaner tool and reinstall again if neither of these suggestions works: Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to solve installation problems 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you, I just looked into this but to work you have to be able to quit the applications - and that is exactly what it isn't letting me do :(?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, please ignore above message - I ran the cleaner tool, reinstalled, and it's still exactly the same. I'm so fed up at this point... followed every step suggested and i'm still in the same position as 2 weeks ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active

Do you ahve any startup scripts or third party plugins running? Startup scripts would be in this folder:  ⁨Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign 20XX⁩ ▸ ⁨Scripts⁩ ▸ ⁨startup scripts⁩

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just had a look and there is something named 'ForceDirectory.txt' which was last actively used the day which I found inDesign was playing up. Should I delete this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that’s not a startup script. Did you try deleting your preferences as Mike suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yeah I did... restarted my macbook afterwards and exactly the same thing is happening. So stuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening documents goes thru scripting.

Most script commands won't work with a modal dialog.

As you found out, another indicator for an open dialog is all those greyed out menus.

Problem is while in theory these should be on top, nowadays they easily hide somewhere.

To track down that open dialog:

Switch to a different application (Safari, TextEdit) while InDesign is blocked.

There, use Safari >> Hide Others to hide most windows, namely all those Finder windows.

Click its dock icon to switch to InDesign.

Use F3 or Fn+F3 (Mission Control?) to zoom out on the windows.

You should have a limited choice of windows - e.g. that "Do you want to start automatic recovery?" dialog.

Click on it brings it to front.

Dismiss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when I press F3 nothing happens.. I've tried going into mission control too but it only brings up safari 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MDavies19,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I see you've tried multiple troubleshooting steps suggested including Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool. You may also try to create a new user profile on your machine to check if it makes a difference.

Additionally, I'd recommend you to connect with Adobe technical support for remote troubleshooting. Please click on the chat icon at the bottom of this page to begin the conversation. Team here will be able to assist you accordingly on a live session.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I just tried using a different user profile and still no luck. I also can't connect to Adobe support as I'm on a uni account so it says "A member of your organization is a designated contact for issues with your Adobe products. Reach out to your administrator or IT contact for help". However, the designated person in my uni also hasn't been able to help fix the issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the message "Cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active', and you click that away, what happens if you hit the ESCAPE key? Most dialogs have a Cancel button, ESC is like choosing Cancel but if you do not see the dialog it can work with the ESC key sometimes to dismiss it even if 'hidden'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just removes the pop up message but I still can't quit indesign without force quit, or select anything as all options are greyed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines