• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC libraries graying out certain assets with message "This item is not supported in inDesign."

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the  assets were created the same way, from the same Illustrator build file. The ones that I created recently and loaded via Adobe Express show grayed out and display "This item is not supported in inDesign." Same thing happens if you try to use the library items in Illustrator. 

The strange thing is that if you select the asset and then right-click on it, choose Place linked from the drop down menu, it will place it for you as normal. I have tried replacing the assets in the library to see if I can make the grayed-out status disappear, but it didn't change. 

Screenshot attached of error message. You can also see the placed icon on the page in spite of the error message. 

Kathleen

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Steve--  I've already re-uploaded them into the libraries by dragging the files from the folders into the library in Illustrator and deleting the grayed out versions. Unfortunately I think my company's Express is broken but this worked just as well. Thanks for trying to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what your problem is. You say you can place an Illustrator-created asset in a CC Library into InDesign with Place Linked command. That is the way to do it, and it works.

Why is Adobe Express  being used in your workflow? It may be a limitation of Adobe Express (a relatively new Adobe product).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but notice in the screen shot that the asset is grayed out and when you hover over it, you get the message that "This item is not supported in inDesign." Obviously yes it is supported in inDesign, so why grayed out and why the message?  And assets I uploaded in my first round of loading into this library are not grayed out and do not show that message. My co-workers are mistakenly thinking the icons can't be used. 

Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told that Adobe Express is the easiest way to put assets into a CC library that you can share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Illustrator graphics, there's no reason to use Adobe Express at all. Just select the artwork, and drag it into the Libraries panel.

Drag to Library.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOW I get the assets into the library is not the issue. The issue is that they are grayed out and there's a message  that inDesign does not support the item. That's what needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of asset is it? What file format is it stored in? InDesign does not support all formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are all AI files. The ones that are grayed out and the ones that are normal.

Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But is it only the Illustrator files you are adding to CC Libraries via Adobe Express that are failing? I thought that's what you said above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some illustrator files are failing. The first batch I uploaded via Express were fine. It's only Illustrator files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of the files you're having trouble with some that you could share? Otherwise, it's hard to help. You could post them with a link to some cloud server if you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve--  I've already re-uploaded them into the libraries by dragging the files from the folders into the library in Illustrator and deleting the grayed out versions. Unfortunately I think my company's Express is broken but this worked just as well. Thanks for trying to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kathleen,

I'm glad you got your problem sorted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines