• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

change the default units permanently

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to change the units of measurement. Edit, Preferences and then I can change picas to inches or whatever. In the old CC 6, this would become the default. Now, in the online InDesign, every single new document I have to change the preferences from picas to inches. Is there a way to permanently change this? It's annoying as heck!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Close all documents. Change the value From InDesign Preferences, Units and Increments.

You have to do this with no documents open at all to make it default.

Older documents you already had, there you have to change it once and then save the document

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

my new document does this no matter what. i hit ctrl+n for new, it opens new document window, the first option is always custom (top/left) corner, 612px X 792px...nothing changes this it seems. have done what was said here, over and over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close all documents. Change the value From InDesign Preferences, Units and Increments.

You have to do this with no documents open at all to make it default.

Older documents you already had, there you have to change it once and then save the document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!    I wish I had looked this up sooner.  My annoyance level with this had topped out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ME TOO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you - was driving me nuts!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my new document does this no matter what. i hit ctrl+n for new, it opens new document window, the first option is always custom (top/left) corner, 612px X 792px...nothing changes this it seems. have done what was said here, over and over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are menu options at the top of the New Document dialog box for determining the intent and the last used/saved InDesign documents on your system.

1 - New Doc dialog.jpg

If your option in the menu options is for Web or Mobile, the first document will show in pixels no matter what you've set for your measurement units. Similarly, if the last document you used and/or created/saved was set for Web or Mobile intent, the first document would be in pixels for the default 72ppi describing an 8½" x 11" page.

With no documents open, try switching your Units &Increments ruler settings in Preferences to Inches or Millimeters, then click OK. Then go to your File>New>Document menu command, click on the Print menu option at the top of the dialog box and that should get you the results you're looking for.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG. That was ridiculously easy. Thank you--it was driving me nuts having to change the units every single time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how a lot of defaults work in InDesign. Change something when an object is selected and you change the attribute on that object. Change something when no object is selected and you make that the defult for all new objects in that InDesign document. Change something when no document is open and you make that the default for new objects in all new documnets created on that computer.

Whenever I install a new copy of InDesign or set up a new computer I set the defaults to what I want. eg. type size and leading incrments to 1 point instead of 2 and tracking/kerning to 5 units instead of 20 (which honestly should be the defaults out of the can).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That info could be easier to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Scott and wanted to add, you open your workspace without any documents open and create presets for your default paragaraph style to change it from Minion Pro. You can set default GREP styles in that style, default object styles, swatches, character styles, etc.

Additionally, I will also transfer workspaces and keyboard shortcuts on the backend when setting up a new computer. I only know how to on Windows, but it can be done through Adobe Roaming App Data and/or Program Files and copying existing files over. This is true of all Adobe software. For example, I have a different Adobe account for work and for home, so it's an essential step to try to syncronize settings. I think Adobe tried to do this, but it didn't work very well. My backend solution has worked for a decade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soo much! This has been driving me nuts for years now. 😬🙃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heck YES! THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this has been driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, VERY annoying! It wasn't this way for me until version 19.0.1 

I go back to when it was called Pagemaker.

Only designers from the 1980's use picas 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, VERY annoying! It wasn't this way for me until version 19.0.1

Ruler Units have always been settable as an Application Preference (set your preferred unit with no documents open), or a Document Preference (set your preferered unit for an active document and save). As Scott mentioned above, most inDesign Preferences can be either application or document specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@johnm82806023 Always been this way. Just change it with no document open, it becomes the default for new documents; in older documents change it once, save the document, done.

This is unchanged since the first ever version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed in regard to this. Existing documents will always open with the units that they were saved with.

BTW, InDesign was never called Pagemaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines