• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing cmyk or rgb blacks to true blacks.

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We pull pdf pages into indesign create a pdf and use File Minizer to create nice quality and the size is great.

We were using Pittstop on a mac to change the blacks in the pdfs to true black and true grey  instead of Blacks and greys in CMYK or RGB.

In the past, the Pit
Stop process was doing this and it saved on the more expensive colored ink on
the machines by using the black ink for black print, instead of using the RGB
or CMYK to create black on the printer. Do you know if there is a way to do that
in Indesign or some other program
?

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Comments is to ask about the operation of the Forum, not a specific program]

[Moved from the Comments forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

This is from a previous post on using Excel charts and converting RGB black:

>Open PDF in Acrobat Pro and Convert Colors (under Print Production).

>Set appropriate color conversion profile and check the Preserve Black and the Promote Gray to CMYK Black settings.

Keep in mind that if you convert to CMYK upon export from InDesign, the RGB black is converted too. Export PDF without converting colors.

That said, PitStop Pro is more powerful. I just got an email yesterday advertising the release of PitS

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PitStop is still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to do the same thing with existing adobe programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also is that on a PC as well as a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other thread, Dov Issacs (Adobe) gave these instructions on how to convert RGB to K blacks in Acrobat DC Pro:

Quoted from Re: Technicians claim my file doesn't have fonts embedded…but they're incorrect, right?

Acrobat Pro DC provides a preflight fixup explicitly for this. In Acrobat Preflight, access the Essentials library, select Single Fixups, and choose the Convert color to B/W fixup under the Color spaces, spot colors, inks group. Run that fix and this color issue is gone.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from a previous post on using Excel charts and converting RGB black:

>Open PDF in Acrobat Pro and Convert Colors (under Print Production).

>Set appropriate color conversion profile and check the Preserve Black and the Promote Gray to CMYK Black settings.

Keep in mind that if you convert to CMYK upon export from InDesign, the RGB black is converted too. Export PDF without converting colors.

That said, PitStop Pro is more powerful. I just got an email yesterday advertising the release of PitStop Pro 2018.

Enfocus

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question is Pittstop now a subscription service you renew each year or a one time purchase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open PDF in Acrobat Pro and Convert Colors (under Print Production). Set appropriate color conversion profile and check the Preserve Black and the Promote Gray to CMYK Black settings.

By @Creamer Training

@Creamer Training, sorry for reviving an old thread, but I recently posted a similar question on the forum (link) and I would appreciatte your advice.

The procedure that you described, is it a 'must do' when preparing grayscale content for offset printing?

For example, I have a PDF with sRGB and sGray images. Should I convert them all to the CMYK profile specified by the printer? That is: sRGB  converts to CMYK and sGray to CMYK - Black Ink.

Or should I only convert the sRGB to CMYK, while sGray should be converted to Dot Gain %?

This is very confusing to me.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My post was for converting RGB black to K-only. Your question is best posed to your printery. The sGray to K-only might be too dark, but you would need to know the dot gain the printer requires, which is paper and press dependent. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check with Enfocus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if doing a web search note only one T in pitstop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I still found it, Enfocus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some free scripts on my scripts page of www.colecandoo.com that can change colours within indesign. In illustrator, there is a new ability to control colours via the edit menu.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines