• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

changing default bullets & numbering across the document

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I know how to create paragraph style with numbering and formatting. that's not what I'm after.

I want to know how I can change the default bulleting formatting, like making a change to indents and positions, and have them apply every time I use bullet points regardless of paragraph style im using.

Hope it makes sense.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

The only thing you can change as a default for *any style* are the things you change with no document open. So after you close any open INDD files, switch to the Type tool and choose Bullets & Numbering from the Control Panel menu. There you'll find that you change the bullet character (• or * for example) and the numbering style (1,2,3 or i,ii,iii for example), the separator character to use (something other than the default Tab character) and if there's a character style you want to apply to e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing you can change as a default for *any style* are the things you change with no document open. So after you close any open INDD files, switch to the Type tool and choose Bullets & Numbering from the Control Panel menu. There you'll find that you change the bullet character (• or * for example) and the numbering style (1,2,3 or i,ii,iii for example), the separator character to use (something other than the default Tab character) and if there's a character style you want to apply to either, you can choose (and create that).  

But you can't change indents and positions that "would work with any paragraph style" because those are based on an existing set of paragraph attributes. You'll see those fields are dimmed.

2019-10-27_10-12-15.png

Now, *if* you base all your paragraph styles in your documents on a parent style that is present in all your new documents --- the Basic Paragraph style, or maybe your own that you've created and added no docs open --- then you could edit the Bullets and Numbering panel in that parent style, and that would be the default for all paragraph styles you create.

I don't recommend changing the Basic Paragraph settings, because that could lead to aggravation and confusion down the road if you ever need to copy/paste text from one doc to another. Better to create a new paragraph style with no docs open, maybe called "Base" or "BN Base" and put your desired  bullets and numbering defaults in there. Save your changes to the application defaults by restarting InDesign.

Then just make sure for all new docs you create from then on, whenever you create a new paragraph style, you changed the "based on" style from the default of the same style to the "Base" one. 

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! Nothing missing in this answer, from one of the top experts of InDesign you could ask for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aw shucks, federico. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines