Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing unit to inches for New Document in InDesign

Participant ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My InDesign somehow just decided to change the unit for documents from inches to points. I don't really points so I want to put it back to inches but haven't trouble. I think the way to change the units for new documents was to go to Preferences - Units and Increments and change the H and V units there. My Preference for units is already set as inches. And my rulers are shown in inches, too. But, when I open a New Document, it still shows me all units in "p". After having this issue, I updated the InDesign CC yesterday, too, but still having the trouble. Can anyone help please? Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Close all opened documents, and than only set your units in CTRL+K, than shutdown and open ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open a New Document

Are you opening a document or creating a new document?

File > New > Document will use the units as set in Preferences.

File > Open will use the units already set within that file. Changing the rulers by right clicking within an open file will change the units of measure for that one file.

Try closing all open documents, and return to Preferences > Units & Increments and set Horizontal and Vertical to Inches. Then try again with File > New > Document.

InDesign CCss_043.png

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

Use rulers and measurement units in Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for your quick reply! I am trying to open a New Document. I did change the horizontal and vertical unit setting to inches in the preferences but it still doesn't change the setting for opening up a new document. When I go back to the Preference, it does say "inches" in the H & V units. But the New Document setting still stays the same. I closed, it, re-opened it, tried the same process a few times, updated the InDesign, but still no luck... Very strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the preferences menu in the updated version? It was under edit before and now I can't locate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It hasn’t moved. Edit menu in Windows, InDesign menu on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you recently move to a Mac?

InDesign CCss_024.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I had an update, and today when I went to change the measurements in

preferences, I couldn't find preferences under edit before I opened my

document. I changed them on the ruler settings after opening my document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you see it now, right? It's the last command in the Edit menu on Windows. If you have a small or low res display, you may have to scroll to locate it. Control K will get you there, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know exactly where to make this change but please clarify...are you saying that I have to close the id documents I have open, and log out of id just to create a new document with measurements set to inches??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to log out, but if you want all subsequent documents to be set in inches, then the change does have to be done with no documents open. Otherwise, any change you make will only apply the the active document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work unless I closed ALL, not some, of the documents I was working in. Again, this is insane, inefficient, and disruptive to my work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to close the id documents I was working in, in order to create a new ID document set to inches. I'm sorry, this is insane and inefficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a New "New" dialog box if you're using the latest version of InDesign CC 2017.1. It includes the Units when you create a new document:

InDesign CC347.png

Or if you don't want to use the new "New" dialog box, open the rulers (Cmd/Ctrl-R) and in a new document, choose the units for both the top ruler and left ruler by right-clicking on the ruler and choosing your units.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Preferences affects all new documents going forward, so if you just need it for one instance, you should leave your preferences set to your usual units of measure, and make the change in the new document as soon as it is created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close all opened documents, and than only set your units in CTRL+K, than shutdown and open ID.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I pressed CTRL+K, nothing happened, but I changed the preference again, closed ID, re-opened and somehow it worked!! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an unexpected extra step (quitting and restarting)—but good to know!

FYI, I didn't need to quit on my system to see the measurement change —Mac 10.11.5/InDesign 2015.4—so hopefully, that function will be restored for you with a later patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I don't know how it got fixed because when I pressed CTRL+K, nothing visible happened. But somehow it worked after I did that. I think CTRL+K is supposed to open the General tab in Preference? https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/InDesign_Shortcuts

CTRL+K opened up nothing but it solved my problem... Hmmm. Anyway it's all good now. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Control K is just the shortcut for Edit > Preferences. I think the key was exiting and restarting to kick the change into effect. Some Preference settings need a restart (using the Start and Recent workspaces, for example) but as I mentioned, the units update worked immediately on my Mac as they always have—it seems like for some reason, you needed to restart on Windows. Maybe GeorgeS  can help clarify it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not mean to restart windows But, cool that this help to topic-starter.

Mean that need to add changes in preferences in ID when not opened any documents, than close ID (shutdown ID, not PC), and open again. That works not only to units - works for all preferences of InDesign to change some default settings (workspace, basic styles, etc).

However - When InDesign works slow with Windows, or have some "bugs" first decision is a restart PC, yes

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines