Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter Headings Moving After EPUB Export

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have worked on this all, and scoured Google, but I haven't found an answer. I'm doing my first EPUB and when it exports my chapter headings move. For example my chapter heading is at the bottom of the chapter list when it should be at the the top. Chapter one's heading moves to become chapter two's heading, and I have no idea how to figure it out.

I am using hyperlinks to create the table of contents, but even when I create separate documents and create a book I've run into the same situation.

I'm sure it is something simple, and I'm possibly overlooking it, but help would be appreciated. I'm working in Windows version of the most recent InDesign if that helps, and of course, here are some pics, and I'm viewing the file in ADE

Contents should be above chapter one here.

In this pic chapter one's heading isn't even there

In this one chapter two has now become chapter one, and I have no idea where chapter two's heading went to.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? What operating system? What are your exact settings for EPUB export?

Are there paragraph styles assigned to all text? Are they all mapped to tags? Have you tried other eReaders such as iBooks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a Reflowable text Pub or FXL ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the most recent version of InDesign on Windows 10. Nothing has been mapped to tags. I'm using hyperlinks to connect the chapter headings to the chapter listed on the contents page. As for eReaders, I've used calibre, AIReader, and even IE, and same results all across the board. When I export as PDF everything works out fine.

Paragraph styles are this for the chapter headings:

Rest of the text isusing this style:

And EPUB settings are this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use proper styles and tags. I would never attempt to do this the way you are so I need to ask, why are doing it like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try splitting document on your chapter headings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, this is my first time doing this, so I'm learning as I go, and most of what I'm learning is through Google. At this point I'm working on trial and error. Thanks for the help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd thoughts:

Make sure you don't use anything on any Master Pages.

Set up a proper ToC using separate ToC Styles.

Ensure you're using Typkit fonts or you have an ePub font licence if not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to give those headings a unique style name and then map it to an H1 tag.

Then when you export you can use those styles to indicate a new chapter.

Also, make sure that this is one long reflowing story in InDesign or items won’t show up or will show up at the end of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right, I'll give all suggestions a try and report back if it does or doesn't work. Thank you both for the assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating Reflowable Text ePubs is not intuitive, I suggest you have a look at some of the excellent online video tutorials such as:

https://www.lynda.com/Graphic-Design-tutorials/Ebook-Foundations/606066-2.html?srchtrk=index%3a11%0a...

https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/indesign-cc-epub-fundamentals

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you worked all text in chapter inside the same text frame. Usually, this problem happens when indesign file has separated text frame.

To preserve the same order view from indesign file use one big text frame and anchored images

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same text frame worked! Thanks for your suggestion all the way in 2024. Natalie 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, with few exceptions (and the understanding of them), all content for an EPUB export must be in a single text flow.

Here's some basics including the details of that one: http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/DPR/dpr_indesign_epub_basics.php

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines