• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter-specific endnotes at the end of chapters

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm setting up a book that will have about 28 chapters, and a great many notes. I'd like to show the notes as endnotes, at the end of each chapter, with the endnote numbering restarting at the beginning of each chapter. I'll be importing each chapter from Word. I frankly do not understand the whole story concept, and cannot find a way of making this work. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Hi @Debra22550563t8yk ,

Thanks for reaching out. I found a similar discussion on the community which you can refer to here https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/chapter-specific-endnotes-at-end-of-book/m-p/10912997#M174787 

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Debra22550563t8yk ,

Thanks for reaching out. I found a similar discussion on the community which you can refer to here https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/chapter-specific-endnotes-at-end-of-book/m-p/109... 

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Rishabh! This does it, I think.  I'll reach out again if I can't make this work. Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gald to hear that! Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest and most absolute method is to make each chapter a separate INDD file, and then collate the book using the Book feature.

There are ways to break a single INDD doc into separate stories and manage notes based on that, but... trust me. You want to manage them by file.

You may find this simpler if you set up and do all major design and layout and tweaking on one chapter (not necessarily #1; choose a chapter that has the most content and features, so as to incorporate as many elements as possible). When you have that chapter file where you want it, use it as the template to create the others. That will simplify the book-synchronization step when you want to update styles across all the component files.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"The simplest and most absolute method is to make each chapter a separate INDD file, and then collate the book using the Book feature." Default the endnotes will be collected at the end of the book.  But how do you do that? In my case the endnotes are still at the end of each document instead of at the end of the book (what I prefare)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the INDB functionality, you will make for each chapter a single INDD. When you make endnotes in each document (chapter) the endnotes were created at the end of a chapter anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines