• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Characters changing when InDesign file is exported to a PDF

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm dealing with an issue where when an InDesign file is exported to a PDF, certain symbols change both appearance and change into a different unicode. In this case, the hyphen-minus (U+002D), which was being used as a bullet point, changed into a different symbol (U+0171) as shown below.

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 8.21.25 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-06-30 at 8.13.05 AM.png

When it was previously exported, there were no errors. The file was exported again after a different part of the document had a small formatting edit applied, and that was when this error occurred, even though the section of text where these symbols were being used was not touched. So far, I haven't been able to replicate this error.

I would really appreciate any insight as to why this happened, and how I can avoid this error in the future.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a character style for the bullet? Perhaps that style was edited in that formatting operation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! I checked, and there was no change to the chararcter style or paragraph style. I believe that the formatting operation was making a line of text in a different area of the document bold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't quite answer my question.

If you are using a character style for the bullet that style could be redefined if you also use it someplace else and you edit it  to make a change there. I would expect, though, that you would see the change in your bullet at that point.

Have you verified that the bullet character is still correct in the .indd file and is only changed in the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification, there is a style being applied to the bullet point but no, that character style has not been changed.

The bullet character is still correct in both versions of the .indd, it is just in the PDF that it shows up differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a font embedding problem, perhaps. What is the font being used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myriad Pro - specifically Myriad Pro condensed for the bullet points. I checked the document properties of both PDFs and it appears to be embedded. Here's a screenshot of that-

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 2.07.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm perplexed.

You'll probably have to share a sample file that shows the correct bullet but exports incorectly for some of our other experts to have a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines