• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Click-to-Reveal (can it show in printout?)

Participant ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I will be using InDesign to create an 'interactive' pdf for both online and offline use.

My concern is the use of the 'click-to-reveal' feature (e.g. text popups). They look good in the digital pdf.

However, when I print out the pdf, the pop-up text (via click-to-reveal feature) doesn't show, which means the person reading the printed pdf will miss out on some information.

Does anyone have a solution for this? e.g. does the printing of click-to-reveal information need to be set up a certain way in an InDesign option? Or does it only work with the newest version of InDesign (November 2018 release (version 14.0.1)?

Thanks very much,

Gene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Michael,

Thank you so much for your detailed help; it's great to know the functionality is possible.

One more question, if you don't mind.

I noticed in your screenshot that the yellow pop-up box is covering the main text.

Do you know how I could set it up so that the pop-up text is off to the side, so it doesn't obstruct the main text when printed out?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gene,

Build the item that is to be hidden within the PDF yet is to be printable. In the example below it is the yellow popup box. If the item is comprised of multiple elements first group them together or else each element will later become a button. With the item selected, from the Buttons and Forms panel…

1. Turn it into a button.
  2. Select "Hidden Until Triggered". The item will remain permanently hidden on screen within the PDF as no action by anything else will reveal it.
  3. Select "Printable". While the object is invisible on screen within the PDF it will still print.

This technique also works when applied to items that are shown/hidden by other buttons which is the typical way popups are built. To clarify, this yellow popup, which has been hidden from view, will print regardless of whether it remained hidden or was shown via the action of another button because the Printable option is now active.

screen-1.png

The image below shows the PDF open in Acrobat with the popup not showing. Note that the text covered by the popup in InDesign is visible within the PDF.

screen-2.png

While this popup is not visible within the PDF it will still print. The image below is taken from the Acrobat Print dialogue box. I have confirmed that this does physically print.

screen-3.png

Hope this helps,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Thank you so much for your detailed help; it's great to know the functionality is possible.

One more question, if you don't mind.

I noticed in your screenshot that the yellow pop-up box is covering the main text.

Do you know how I could set it up so that the pop-up text is off to the side, so it doesn't obstruct the main text when printed out?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click it in InDesign and drag it to the place where you want to have it printed. It will pop up at that position in the interactive PDF as well -- you cannot have this particular cake and eat it too.

In such cases, you are probably far better off making dedicated separate view and print versions. (To note: I first read your bolded sentence as "in print, the pop-up does not work" )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for the answer.

Understood regarding needing to have 2 versions.

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Sorry--1 last quick question.

Would this be the same problem and solution for InDesign's 'Hover' feature?

Cheers and thanks again,

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gene.

Just for the record it wasn't me suggesting you run with two different versions. I agree this might definitely be the way to go in many situations. However, if you can create a suitable viewable and printable version within a single document I would definitely recommend doing so to avoid any confusion.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the great information; it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure Gene. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You got a lot of good info, but you mentioned in your original post that you intend to use this online. The features you're using here, beyond Acrobat and Reader, on a desktop, are going to be a hit or miss at best. Chances of success on mobile devices and browsers are a crapshoot.

Also, keep in mind that on mouseover and roll off will not work on a mobile device at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Gene,

Happy this helps.

In my example I deliberately had the popup partially cover the main content just to demonstrate that it could go anywhere. You are free to place this popup wherever you like within your design.

I also saw you ask in another question about the hover feature. This absolutely works and I ran a complete test on that functionality as well. To be specific, I was using the "On Roll Over" and "On Roll Off" Events for a button.

Cheers,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines