• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closing Parentheses Moves to Front of Text Line

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered a issue recently where any closing marks either a closed parentheses or period moves to the front of the text line.

Example:

How I'd like it to appear |    Is there anything I can do (I can't figure this out)

How it appears in InDesign   |    (Is there anything I can do (I can't figure this out

Please help if you know a solution.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That looks a lot like your text has been accidentally turned into Arabic, or the right-to-left paragraph behavior button has been checked. If you have a version of InDesign installed that supports Arabic, it's super easy to turn off. Here are screenshots of what my Arabic-enabled Indesign look like in the Paragraph and Character panels:

RTL.gif

So, if you don't have those paragraph directional buttons, then 1) I can post a little script to reset the paragraph direction to English default left-to-right behavior, and 2) you've been hit by a bug that causes someone to come in here every month or two asking why their InDesign is acting as if it's set up for Arabic. If you start a brand-new document and see this behavior, you should probably try resetting your InDesign preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines