Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color space view from rgb to cmyk

Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lets get to the point - how do you change the rgb picker back to the cymk?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vague.

Do you mean the eyedropper tool?

If so, then taking a colour sample from an RGB image or graphic will give you RGB values, to change them to CMYK use this:

Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 09.35.37.png

Then you can add the colour to your swatches in CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheers for getting back to me. i meant this part -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you're trying to include an image in your posting. If you're replying by email, the image doesn't come through: We cannot see it.

Return to the discussion in your web browser, and attach the picture with the Insert Image iconin the forum editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Asset 1@4x.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean, looks like a glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how this dialog box was designed. There isn't an option to display the CMYK color space. This thread may be helpful: RGB Color Space to CMYK Color Space view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's get to the point... You can't!

Color Space View in Color Picker Tool is either RGB or Lab based (which in a way does make sense since I suppose you don't have a CMYK screen, do you? ^^ But on the other hand, I understand that a CMYK color space could be handy, although not 100% accurate, even with a calibrated screen *)

Now, if you want to pick up CMYK colors, I suggest you forget about Color Picker Tool and work only with swatches.

Next question will probably be: how do you know the CMYK value of the color you want to create without seeing it on screen?

My answer would be: use a CMYK printed color guide... That would be the most accurate way...

Hope that helps

Vinny

* You can fill a Feature request here: Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vinny38  wrote

… Next question will probably be: how do you know the CMYK value of the color you want to create without seeing it on screen?

My answer would be: use a CMYK printed color guide... That would be the most accurate way...

Hi Vinny,

Barb did a link to a thread where Rob is explaining that Color Picker indeed is able to convert RGB to CMYK using InDesign's Color Managment. I toyed a bit with the panel in InDesign CS6. It's not that intuitive, but you can convert a picked RGB value to CMYK values and also see the managed preview on screen.

Step 1:

Pick a color like: 0, 255, 0 in RGB

A color that cannot be printed with CMYK. The underlying color management tries its best and is suggesting 66, 0, 100, 0 for CMYK.

ColorPicker-1.png

Step 2:

Set your cursor to any of the CMYK value fields.

Note this, the preview color of the green next to the OK button still does not change.

ColorPicker-2.png

Step 3

Edit one value, e.g. type in 1 into the K field. Confirm the edit with typing Tab on the keyboard.

Now the preview changes to the color managed color in CMYK:

ColorPicker-3.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe.

Cool! I didn't know that trick.

Thanks for sharing it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines