• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colored Text Frame is not-selectable and not tagged when exported to PDF

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a text box with a background color, inner glow, and drop shadow in inDesign. It has 3 columns of names.  

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 10.12.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 10.12.42 AM.png

When I export it as an Interactive PDF...

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 10.14.43 AM.png

I go to check the accessability and make sure things are registering as text in the correct order. For all text boxes that have this colored background and effect, Acrobat cannot read it anymore. I also cannot highlight or select it in Reader. It's like it disappears in every way except visually.

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 10.15.50 AM.png

I can fix this by separaing the text from the background (floating text on top of a colored rectangle), but it is a hassle to keep those two elements separate. I did this "fix" with the green text box and it now registeres as selectable text as you can see in the tags panel. The tan text box with the names however, remains invisible because it is one singular element.

Why is it that text becomes unselectable when it has a background fill? Must I separate the text from background forever if I am to comply with the ADA(Americans with Disabilities Act)? My clients also cannot seem to highlight it for the purposes of comments and PDF markups. Any help at al is deeply appreciated. Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why is it that text becomes unselectable when it has a background fill?

I haven't investigated or experimented with it here, but I'd be inclined to suspect the problem stems more from the use of transparency-dependent effects than from a simple fill. The text in that frame isn't surviving export, and you've already found the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines