• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

column line do not overprint

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run into a problem with column lines,  although they are set to overprint, it doesn't work. Neither in seperation preview, nor when exported as PDF and viewed in Acrobat.
Is there something I doesn't get or is it a bug?
Thanks!

(Indesign 17.1, macOS 10.15.7)

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file or at least provide a screen grab with overprint preview on? What colour are you using for the lines?

Edit: After exploring the program I don't see how one can set table strokes to overprint. You can overprint row and column strokes, but I see no control to overprint the stroke around the entire table.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 6.27.04 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-03-28 at 6.27.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attached a demo file, because the original file is way to big and confidential. Also see the screenshot, where overprinting for the column line is activated, but is not applied (language is german, but “überdrucken” means overprint).
I mean, if there is an option for it, it should work, shouldn't it?

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misunderstood your initial post. I explored guides on tables, not the Column Rules in Text Frame Options. Sorry about that.

I was able to get your stroke to overprint by using 90% Black instead of a custom swatch. Usually there is no need to make custom black swatches except to make them not overprint.

Hmm, for some reason I cannot add an attachment.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 7.14.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attachment?

I see. For some stupid reason I cannot attach IDML files (which are just ZIP files) but I can attach INDD files that are 20 times larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Scott. But still it leaves me wondering, why 90K works for every other element to overprint. This is not a consistent behavior.

The problem with 90% tone of black instead of 90K is, that if your are switching colors, for some stupid reason Indesign remembers 90% for all other swatches on element.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

thanks for your sample InDesign document.

I see the difference.

David: Swatch defined with CMYK 0,0,0,90 > [x] Overprint not working

Scott: [Black] 90% > [x] Overprint working

Should we consider this a bug? I think so.

Also tried with a different swatch like CMYK 100,0,0,0 for the column rule that should overprint.

Not working.

Separation View all inks showing:

ColumnRule-Overprint-BUG-1.PNG

Separation View without Cyan:

ColumnRule-Overprint-BUG-2.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, Scott and Rob,

did a bug report at InDesign UserVoice:

Column Rules will NOT overprint when option [x] Overprint is checked and color is NOT [Black]
Uwe Laubender, Mar 29, 2022
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44968894-column-rules-w...

Please vote to fix the issue.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I voted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines