• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Common form fields

New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a form in InDesign with some common text fields. For instance "name of Resident". When I open it in Acrobat, each one has a number after it. If I remove the numbers on the labels [in Acrobat] and save, the commonly named fields auto fill with the same information - no matter what app I fill it in with [Preview, Reader, etc.]

Is there any way to set up commonly named form fields from the start in InDesign [CS6]?

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each field has to have a unique name otherwise the data will repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek! Data repeating is exactly what I'm after. Its the control of that feature that I can't locate. In Acrobat, I can see the field names and edit them to match. How can I do that in InDesign? I can see the list of shared urls, but not the text fields.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With a text field selected, see the field's name in the Name: field on the Buttons and Forms panel.

By default, when you create or copy/paste fields, InDesign automatically names them, adding that ordinal number you've encountered (avoids accidental duplicates), but you can enter or edit field names in the Name: field, and InDesign allows duplicates. Like-named fields will then auto-fill with the user's entry in the first one, as you desire.

Capture01.PNGCapture02.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines