• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Composite Fonts for Western InDesign?

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our marketing department, located in the USA, creates documents using InDesign in many different languages, including CJK. To meet our corporate design requirements, we need to create composite fonts. Unfortunately, the western version of InDesign does not yet have a composite font editor. Oddly, Illustrator does, but exporting the Illustrator Composite font into the Western InDesign does not work. We also used to be able to use the composite font editor in World Tools Pro, but that has not been updated to be compatible with recent versions of InDesign. 

Currently, we open old documents with a composite Japanese font that we created when we were using World Tools Pro, and as long as we have that document open, we can use the composite font in a new document. Nonetheless, it is a bit tricky and we want to create composite fonts for other languages (Chinese and Korean). 

I really don't know why Adobe still thinks only users of the ME and CJK versions of InDesign need the composite font editor. Or, at the very least, to be able to import composite fonts from Illustrator into the Western version of InDesign.  I doubt we are the only company with this issue.

When might Adobe give us composite font capabilities in the Western version of InDesign?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Hi,

maybe FontMixer by Marc Autret is something for you:

http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2013/07/fontmixer-extend-typefaces-in-indesign

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

This is the wrong place for this kind of request. Feature requests for InDesign should be posted on InDesign User Voice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Start by searching for previous requests, and you'll find some there to vote for.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

maybe FontMixer by Marc Autret is something for you:

http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2013/07/fontmixer-extend-typefaces-in-indesign

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Uwe,

Thank you for the suggestion. However, when I go to the site, I see nothing that says it is compatible with InDesign 2020 on Windows 10. In fact, there is little on this site that is newer than 2015. If compatibility for Win10/Indesign 2020 can be confirmed, then I would try it. 

Nonetheless, I still think that Adobe should make the feature available in western InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kls4444,

I'd say: No fear! Just do a test with Marc's script FontMixer, come back here and discuss the results.

In case something goes wrong send Marc a mail.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FontMixer and World Tools Pro both use the same underlying scripting interface to provide an alternative user interface to the "missing" Composite Fonts editor for Roman editions of InDesign. The challenge you'll encounter with FontMixer for creating CCJK composite fonts is the interface is built around a simple base + one (1) alternate font for any characters manually keyed into a single-line field. Whereas World Tools Pro closely emulated InDesign J's Composite Fonts Editor (where you can assign fonts to six pre-defined Unicode character ranges: Kanji, Kana, Punctuation, Symbols, Latin, and Numbers).

But you can enable the "missing" Font Composite Editor in InDesign CC by Changing the language of your Creative Cloud apps (link), then re-installing InDesign (you used to have to un-install InDesign first, but that's no longer the case). 

Creative Cloud desktop app > Change default install languageCreative Cloud desktop app > Change default install language

If you choose English Arabic or English Hebrew as your default install language, InDesign's user interface will remain in English, but the Composite Font Editor (go to Type > Composite Fonts…) is more limited with only three pre-defined Unicode character ranges of Base, Latin, and Numbers.

Composite Fonts editor (English Arabic)Composite Fonts editor (English Arabic)

If you choose Japanese, InDesign's user interface will be fully localized, but the Composite Font Editor is what you're expecting.

Composite Fonts editor (Japanese)Composite Fonts editor (Japanese)

I don't quite understand why Adobe doesn't make the Hebrew/Arabic variant of the Composite Fonts Editor available to all install languages. But one feature that I'd love to have would being able to define custom Unicode character ranges instead of being limited to the preset options or having to directly key in each glyph individually (painful).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! it's 2023 and I also make myself the same question:

When might Adobe give us composite font capabilities in the Western version of InDesign?

I also work for a company that makes DTP for Asian and ME languages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the wrong place for this kind of request. Feature requests for InDesign should be posted on InDesign User Voice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Start by searching for previous requests, and you'll find some there to vote for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines