Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CONSECUTIVE NUMBERS on ODD Pages Only

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

I am a graphic designer with pre-press knowledge and I have a huge problem that maybe someone can help me with?!

I have a few mutli-page PDFs - every odd page is a header to a two-page letter in which has a corrosponding envelope. There must be a number (1-...) on the header page to corrolate to an envelope.

So, basically, I need to add consecutive numbers to the ODD pages only. Page 1 would have a tiny "1" in the top right corner where as Page 3 would need a "2" and so on. 

Is this at all possible?! HELPPPPP

Thanks!!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Guide , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Instead of using automatic page numbers, make a text frame only on the right master page. Next, make a text frame on the pasteboard and style it to the size and font you want, and make it a numbered list. Then hit the Enter key as many times as you have need for numbers. If it's a lot, do it 10 times, select all, copy and paste 10 times and you'll  have a hundred. Now tick the out-port of the text frame with the numbered list, hold Shift and click into the master frame on the first document page

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Hi @Seek-5C7C :

Note that InDesign won't put a number in front of an empty paragraph. Adding a space on the line is all it take for the number to show up, in @Migintosh's example, add Spacebar Enter instead of just Enter.

My variation is to add a primary text frame on the right master—though this assumes you aren't already using a primary frame for the body of the document. Add a paragraph style that increments the number by 1, and set the keep options to top of right page. Then Spacebar Ent

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

You may also consider doing the numbering in Acrobat, and set up a Bates Numbering scheme to hit only the odd pages

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of using automatic page numbers, make a text frame only on the right master page. Next, make a text frame on the pasteboard and style it to the size and font you want, and make it a numbered list. Then hit the Enter key as many times as you have need for numbers. If it's a lot, do it 10 times, select all, copy and paste 10 times and you'll  have a hundred. Now tick the out-port of the text frame with the numbered list, hold Shift and click into the master frame on the first document page. It will send all of the overset text into the chain of master frames, with one on each odd page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Seek-5C7C :

Note that InDesign won't put a number in front of an empty paragraph. Adding a space on the line is all it take for the number to show up, in @Migintosh's example, add Spacebar Enter instead of just Enter.

My variation is to add a primary text frame on the right master—though this assumes you aren't already using a primary frame for the body of the document. Add a paragraph style that increments the number by 1, and set the keep options to top of right page. Then Spacebar Enter as many times as you need and the list will flow through the threaded frames.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may also consider doing the numbering in Acrobat, and set up a Bates Numbering scheme to hit only the odd pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines