• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contact Sheets in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make contact sheets of photographs regulary. Doing them in Indesign is preferred method as they sometimes get added to other layouts so need to be very editable. The Photoshop output is just kind of a pain since it is one big jpg file. 

I discovered the script ImageCatalog in the scripts folder and it does a great job of automating this process including editable file names under the images.

Strangely the images are not in alphabetical order. Any one know why this would be? I dont see anything in the dialouge box. This almost negates the automation as now I have to drag everyting into alpha order. Mulitple page contact sheets become really become a pain.

Maybe there is another way to do automated editable contact sheets?  

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

I’ve written a variation on the catalog script, that you are welcome to try—I added a sorting function similar to Brian’s example so the sorting is alphabetical.

This version lets you set a page size and assigns paragraph and object styles to the labels and images, which make it easier to format the catalog after running the script. I only use it in house on OSX, so I’m not sure if you will run into any bugs.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/ade2b284-c8f0-4828-5974-bdce11b7e190

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just make my own contact sheet template. Here's a good tutorial by Adobe's Patti Sokol.

https://vimeo.com/395793572

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh. I forgot about the Caption drop down. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think this works for what I am doing currently but I am bookmarking this video as I could have used it on a more data driven project. So thanks for that!

How do I use the catalog script? Can it be tweaked to put things in alphabetical order? 

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not intimately familiar with the catalog script, but I assume there's a getFiles function call for choosing the folder with the images in it? If so, you could sort that array before processing the rest of the script: 

var fileArr = chosenFolder.getFiles();
sortNames(fileArr);
//process fileArr

var sortNames = function(arr) {
    arr.sort(function (a, b) {
      return a.name.localeCompare(b.name);
    });
};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve written a variation on the catalog script, that you are welcome to try—I added a sorting function similar to Brian’s example so the sorting is alphabetical.

This version lets you set a page size and assigns paragraph and object styles to the labels and images, which make it easier to format the catalog after running the script. I only use it in house on OSX, so I’m not sure if you will run into any bugs.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/ade2b284-c8f0-4828-5974-bdce11b7e190

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is cool and works like a charm. Thanks for sending

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad I found this post, this is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This has been a bit of a bother - so glad for this script in alphabetical order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day Thanks for the script! Huge help. It works well, except I have image file names that begin with a number and I'd like them to be placed in numeric order. The script places them in this order: 1, 10, 11, 12... up to 19, then 2, 20, 21, 22...  Is there a way to make it place the images in 1, 2, 3 order? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @LHess , try adding leading zeros to your 1-9 files.

Screen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked like a charm - thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines