• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert InDesign file to Illustrator (*.ai) file

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a layout that is mostly text in InDesign, and the printer wants an Illustrator file.  Can't seem to find a way to do a conversion from InDesign to Illustrator.  Is there a way to do this?  Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Right. The solution is to find a competent printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine wrote:

Just to be clear here. Adobe allows the fonts to be transferred with the job to any printer who already has a license for that font. The reason for this is to make sure that both you and the printer are using the identical version of the font. Read the font warning that pops up when you package an ID file.

Ah okay, that's good.  I haven't read the popup warning in ages and was just taking that from their website (which doesn't spell out any exceptions).  I wish they'd change the policy, but I guess the font problems are becoming more obsolete anyway....  (well, font inclusion problems in sending files for output that is, not font problems in general (!), which are unfortunately probably here to stay)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KSCoastal wrote:

but the reality is that not every advisor, PDF printer or desktop designer can necessarily know which RIP system his/her printer is using and plan accordingly for the conflicts a printer would have with fonts.

Just ask them before making the file!  Most of the printers will send a detailed spec sheet, often giving you the PDF settings in a file to use.

Phyllis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OY!

The OP ought to do what they have to do to get the job out while working with his/her printer - This is silly to nit pick a few suggestions and an explanation of why the printer would want native files.. More than likely, the printer has the fonts for the native file under his/her own LICENSE.

I DO NOT see where the printer is asking for the font. The printer is asking for the AI file. Period.

So far, everything the OP is doing or could possible do is wrong according to this forum. Please, let's get the OP on track with some sort of resolve instead of conflict and confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last I heard the OP was giving the suggestions a try.  I'll agree it's been off-topic since.  But certainly if he reports that it doesn't work, folks can try to think of something.  It's a difficult conversion though (if possible at all).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to have contributed to the font lunacy. For what it's worth, I'd use the export to .eps and resave route in this situation, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no lunacy here. Licenses are legally binding.

The fact that "everybody does it" doesn't make it any less so.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the real world, ethics are optional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Ornellas wrote:

In the real world, ethics are optional.

Like stop signs in Massachusetts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never been there.

That bad huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.  Interesting discussion.  Not using anythinh exotic so fonts shouldn't be a problem.

I tried converting using the PDF route and the EPS route.  Both opened in Illustrator and looked right -- fonts and all.  However, only through conversion through the pdf route did I have access to the actual text in Illustrators so I could edit further, if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, the "printer" isn't so a much a printer as a bottle manufacturer who can print around the entire bottle.  I don't therefore, have much choice in printers, but I can say that they do pretty good work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So guys , it is your problem, not for the PRINTER.

Anyway, you will never get the maximum text edit ability in ILLUSTRATOR after getting it in ILLUSTRATOR from InDesign>PDF, Some text will be outlined, Paragraph text will not be maintained, Words or Character will be broken blah blah blah..

We should choose InDesign for laying out a long document but everything is going well in InDesign for even a single page layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually export indd files to eps if printer wants a vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use EPS as it is NOT supporting Color Management nor transparency.

Never open any PDF (nor EPS) in Illustrator which was not created in Illustrator.

If the printer wants vectors, only PDF/X-4 will leave them as vectors in any case. If you use EPS or PDF/X-1a or the bad bad PDF/X-3, transparency will be flattened and vectors could be converted into raster images.

If a printer does not accept PDFs, select a different one. There are a lot of good printers out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point – it is almost like printers who ask you for a Coraldraw file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I normally agree with that, I have been asked to submit files to screen printers who simply only accept .ai files, so that's what you need to send them. In that case, of course, it would be better to just do the job in Illustrator (which I do), but if you need to convert an existing .indd, I think the export to .eps is probably more reliable than converting a PDF, as long as you understand you have to do your own color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to deliver an AI, I would recommend to place and link it to an AI file instead of opening it. Opening would move around the letters and convert all colors.

In the worst case a linked PDF can be flattened transparency and convert outlines with this command. This would at least not change the text design as during the transparency reduction the font information is still alive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a major flaw in the Indesign system. I would think all adobe products should be compatible but they are not.

My team needs to edit files created by another agency in Indesign, but our workflow is all based on Illustrator. I am forced to recreate the files from scratch using a pdf as a guide. The effects don't translate to editable type from Indesign to illustrator.

My recommendation is quit trying and rebuild the art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your recommendation is correct but calling this a major flaw is flat out wrong. Not every file format is interchangeable and Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor. In fact, PDF is an end format.

That your workflow is so restricted that you need to rebuild perfectly good files leaves me to conclude, without further clarification of course, that it is your workflow that is flawed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bartenational wrote:

This is a major flaw in the Indesign system. I would think all adobe products should be compatible but they are not.

My team needs to edit files created by another agency in Indesign, but our workflow is all based on Illustrator. I am forced to recreate the files from scratch using a pdf as a guide. The effects don't translate to editable type from Indesign to illustrator.

Hmm. I have to disagree, in general. If I have created a worksheet in Excel with complex formulas and functions and lookup tables, and I pass it off to a co-worker who only has Word or PowerPoint, should I expect them to open it and use it as intended? If create a 200-page document in Word, what happens when my co-worker wants to open it in Excel?

Some things can be copied and pasted between the programs. Others cannot. And some things can be put into a Creative Cloud Library from one application and then Option+dragged out into another application.

I do sympathize that you can't get your other agency to send files in a format you can use. But I don't put the blame on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all defense, I have to agree that it is a flaw but this is me speaking because I don't have an agency, I am a lean startup, and I am not a professional designer.  To me, a great design should be intuitive and helps non-designers like me make life things easier.  Softwares are there to provide a solution and makes things easy, not create a horror story to my life (which happened to me yesterday by the way).  I am now trying all the workarounds that you have all suggested here and to me, they are all useful as a second to the last resort.  I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart as it gave me hope that there's a way to solve this.  But my point is, it's already the 21st century, it's the 4th industrial revolution, and instead of making AIs to replace people, I think it's time to create real world solutions such as making it simple to convert any Adobe file to any workable format that real world applications (like from designer to printer) actually really needs at the moment.

Adobe, your move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are professional tools that have a steep learning curve. If you don't have the time or inclination to learn to use them then hire a professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, yes I would like to hire a professional but since I'm a lean entrepreneur and the business is starting it's not the priority at the moment.  But I am considering hiring once the business flies, this is a great idea as I've also sourced out my legal, operations, shipping and finance to the experts.  Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

karv16013747  wrote

Softwares are there to provide a solution and makes things easy, not create a horror story...

I think it's time to create real world solutions such as making it simple to convert any Adobe file to any workable format that real world applications (like from designer to printer) actually really needs at the moment.

This really only demonstrates the limits of your knowledge with respect to how software actually works. Applications and their associated file formats are specialized tools, and in the same way a hammer can't properly drive a screw, remove a snap-ring, and cut a rope, one given file format cannot support all the features and functions of 3 others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course, I'm not an expert of software that's why I am here looking for answers. But creators/designers have defined that products should be intuitive.  If not, then it's basically bad design.

Anyway, my printer has found a solution for me and it works.  This is the reference, for those still looking for answers.  Basically, you convert text to outlines to not lose the integrity of the font.  I had to go through 280 pages of it but I think it's better than recreating all in Adobe Illustrator.  http://www.tech4pub.com/2013/01/30/indesign-tip-easily-turn-text-into-outlines/

Then follow the export settings shared in the first page.  It works perfectly, according to the printer.  So I think the case is closed.  *clap, clap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a solution that any professional would recommend. In fact, converting to outlines does lose the integrity of the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines