• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert InDesign file to Illustrator (*.ai) file

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a layout that is mostly text in InDesign, and the printer wants an Illustrator file.  Can't seem to find a way to do a conversion from InDesign to Illustrator.  Is there a way to do this?  Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Right. The solution is to find a competent printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Sure, I'll get my first prototype and see if it works or not.

Thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I realize that when I convert the outlines, some minor paragraph rule disappears so you are right that it's not the solution. 

Cheers,

Kar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right. The solution is to find a competent printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert InDesign file to Illustrator (*.ai) file

There is no way to do that directly from INDESIGN, I think this not a good idea to convert INDD to AI doing that in some other way, you better change the PRINTER. If you do not have Better PRINTER, then you can send EPS as you have done a layout that is mostly text in InDesign (as Mike Ornellaspost).

Printer should know how to place a PDF in Illustrator without having trouble with Font.

For The Printer I want to let them know, place pages as link with appropriate cropping then IMPOSE accordingly in Illustrator. That is why they need AI file so far. After that select pages and go to OBJECT>Flatten Transparency

It will make sure that the FONT used in the file outlined as the same even the PRINTER missed a bunch of FONTs. In this way I do not care about licensing issues regarding FONT when someone send me a PDF using thousands of Licensed Font.

I think this printer does not have any PDF imposition software or they can not do that in INDESIGN, they impose in ILLUSTRATOR manually, then save it in EPS, place in QuarkExpress and send to RIP.

Most of us telling about FONT License, is it the issue here? defiantly not.

Hope you got the point.

Layes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines