• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

converting spreads to pages

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a large document in Adobe InDesign CS6 with Facing Pages. I tried converting my spreads to pages in two ways:

1) At File>Document Setup I deselected "Facing Pages", but it told me that some spreads keep their pages together.

2) At Windows>Pages I chose "Allow Doument Pages to Shuffle", but it kept most spreads intact.

Both ways did not work if I said yes or no to keeping current number of pages on each spread.

The reason could be that I am using master spreads. Please help how to get pages. Thanks in advance,

Brigit Ananya

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spreads are one or more pages.

What is the purpose you want to get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My spreads are two pages. I want to convert to pages so that I can add bleeds and slugs on each page.

I tried to apply my spread-masters to pages by selecting the right page and giving odd numbered pages and selecting the left page giving even numbered pages, but I still could not convert my spreads to pages. How can I make new page-masters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason I can think of for you to do this.

You can add bleed and slugs even with facing pages though I don't advise it for inside bleeds. What exactly are you trying to accomplish beyond that? If you don't give us specifics we can't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your support!

At my InDesign book all pages have background rainbow colors continuously changing. When I make a pdf file for printing I need bleeds and slugs around all pages..

With Love,

Brigit Ananya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the thickness of the paper and how many pages - this will determine the overall thickness of your publication. 

The, what is the finish - glued, stitched, wire bound, etc? 

What are the requirements specified by the place that will be printing it for you? 

In 99.99% of cases - you work with spreads - pretty much as you're doing right now - define bleed & slug in Document Properties and print as single pages - place that will be printing it will do the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brigit Ananya , Unless the binding method is wire-o where the inside edge is trimmed and visible, you donā€™t need an inside bleedā€”most binding methods fold the inside edge on the spine mark, and any bleed area would have to be removed when the printer imposes the pages into printer spreads:

OddPagestoLeftRule.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title of my book is "The Core of Truth: You Know It". I am self-publishing it with| Amazon. It has 100 pages and 18 introductory pages of 24lb and stronger cover pages. I was hoping to have it bound with a coil spiral. Originally it was a small 3.5" x 4" book, but Amazon has a minimum size of 4" x 6". So, I'm presently converting it to this size. Perhaps I  should allow Amazon to do general binding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case - you need to use Google for more info and search this forum - Amazon is very picky with supplied PDFs - so please do research first so you won't waste your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already started wasting time, because Amazon doesn't allow me to print at the small size of 3.5" x 4".  I wonder if they would even do coil spiral binging, which another company, called Amazon KDP Puplishing, told me. I wish I could talk to the Amazon company kdp.com, but they don't seem to carry a phone number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FORGET about getting in touch with anyone at Amazon directly.

99% you'll be chatting / emailing with stupidly badly configured A.I. - or people who will just confirm what A.I. have wrongly suggested and receive pointless answers... I have an online shop + FBA and it's a pain, I have conversations spanning over WEEKS and got nowhere.

And even if you get in touch with someone over the phone - it will be so low level and without any practical knowledge, just reading from a pre-prepared and outdated script - that you'll waste your time anyway... 

The only way to get any valuable info is from other people who done this before. 

Use Google or search this forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think amazon only offers saddle stitch and perfect binding, neither needs an inside bleed. Their bleed guide shows outside, top, and bottom bleeds:

Interior_bleed_layout.PNG

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GVBQ3CMEQW3W2VL6#bleed

The InDesign Document Setup for the layout guide shown in the link would be this:

Screen Shot 24.pngScreen Shot 25.png

If you really are preparing pages for wire-o or spiral see this thread for some bleed options:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/gutter-bleed-still-the-same/m-p/11367643#M198592

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should the cover pages be a wider spread with the title at the center?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I can't offer you any info how to deal with KDP - you need to use Google or search this forum - there are some threads and a few people with some experience, who can offer you some help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does ID-Tasker work for InDesign CS6? Where can I get it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does ID-Tasker work for InDesign CS6? Where can I get it?

By @Brigit Ananya

Not ... yet ... but as I have a friend who is still working on CS5 - I could speed up the process of creating versions for older InDesigns...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines