Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting Spreads To Single With Different Left And Right Margins

Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is more of a curiosity question.

I have a document set to Facing Pages for print. My Master Page has left and right margins that are set to the inverse of each other:

Left page is set with a left margin: 0.75" and right is 1".

Right page is set with a left margin: 1" and right is 0.75".

If I were to uncheck Facing Pages to convert to single page, is it possible to do this where the layout converts, but the odd and even pages maintain the different margins (when it was a spread) like this:

Pages 1, 3, 5, etc keep the left margins from the master page and 2, 4, 6, etc keep the right margins.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

You can create 'Even' and 'Odd' page layouts and assign them to any document pages you like. But all of the automatic selection of recto/verso pages through the document flow will be lost; the process will be entirely manual and you will have none of the automatic spread management.

Parts of it could be scripted, I suppose. Which seems like a long ways to go to get around the built-in feature/s unless there's a truly compelling reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create 'Even' and 'Odd' page layouts and assign them to any document pages you like. But all of the automatic selection of recto/verso pages through the document flow will be lost; the process will be entirely manual and you will have none of the automatic spread management.

Parts of it could be scripted, I suppose. Which seems like a long ways to go to get around the built-in feature/s unless there's a truly compelling reason.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James, I got asked this question by another designer. My response to her was do this when exporting to print PDF and choose single pages, versus spreads.  Afterwards it got me thinking if this was possbile in InDesign itself. What you said about setting up odd and even page layouts was what I first considered, but you're right about it being a lot of hoops to jump through. There isn't any compelling reason to work this way other than to setup a visual workflow that matches the final PDF. 

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Chris Panny 

If you work on a PC - my tool can do it quickly & easily.

First step - apply Masters.

Second step - move objects on the LEFT pages.

Third step - move objects on the RIGHT pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines