Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy and paste interactive text/form field - keeping same Name

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if there is a way to copy a text/form field from one page to another and keep the 'name' of the field when it is pasted. It seems to create a new name for the text field when it is copied to the next page.

This wouldn't be an issue to change usually however I am trying to copy a long list of linked form fields for a list of names and would like it to auto-populate onto all of the pages in the same order. Eg. Name 1, Name 2 

It is taking FOREVER to copy and paste the list of form/text fields onto every page and then go through every individual text box and link it by changing the name back to the initial one I copied.

Just wanting to know if there is a way to lock the form field name properties and copy paste them as is.

I hope this makes sense.

TIA!

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

I may have a solution for you.

Add the Form Fields to a CC Library and then drag back into your other pages.

It kept the same field names as the original. See Below.

"Testing 1" drug into Library from Page 1.

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1663073471691.png

Element drug out of CC Library onto Page 2. Name is retained.

I tried this with two elements at the same time as well and both retained their original names when dragging from the CC Library.

kevinstohlmeyer_2-1663073559145.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeping the same name means the data entered would be mirrored in the field, hence the default behavior to indivudally name all fields when created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kev, That's exactly the behavior the OP wants and I agree there should be a way to do it. Even a simple preference setting would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed that it should be an enhancement, but right now thats the reason behind it. Perhaps suggestion for the Feature Request page?

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case you might be better off doing it in Acrobat. The tools there are far more advanced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob!

Yes absolutely, I have done it in Acrobat in the past with no issues I was just hoping there was a way to do it in InDesign so I don't have to re-do the text fields everytime I want to edit the document and export it to PDF again. It wouldn't be an issue but the document is over 400 pages and has about 60 text fields on each page!! Thanks so much for getting back to me Bob & Kevin! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have a solution for you.

Add the Form Fields to a CC Library and then drag back into your other pages.

It kept the same field names as the original. See Below.

"Testing 1" drug into Library from Page 1.

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1663073471691.png

Element drug out of CC Library onto Page 2. Name is retained.

I tried this with two elements at the same time as well and both retained their original names when dragging from the CC Library.

kevinstohlmeyer_2-1663073559145.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OH MY GOD! IT WORKS! THANK YOU SO MUCH

This is truly life changing!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines