• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy from indesign and paste to photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I copied indesign documents (with layers) and pasted to photoshop (as a combined image). Since the last version I can't do that, when I paste in photoshop, just some of the layers are pasted. I can't see the pattern to identify the problem with the layers. Taking as an example a design with an image as a background and text over the image, if I copy and paste in photoshop, I just paste the image. Then I come back to indesign, hide the image, copy and paste in photoshop, and I paste the rest of the elements. In the past versions, I copied and pasted all the elements in one step.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Would it not be better to export the InDesign file as a PDF, PNG or JPG if you are wanting it in Photoshop? I have seen on CreativePro some script to save an InDesign as a Photoshop (https://creativepro.com/save-indesign-files-layered-photoshop-files/)
Check your clipboard handling in your preferences.
Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 18.47.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Have you tried resetting your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it not be better to export the InDesign file as a PDF, PNG or JPG if you are wanting it in Photoshop? I have seen on CreativePro some script to save an InDesign as a Photoshop (https://creativepro.com/save-indesign-files-layered-photoshop-files/)
Check your clipboard handling in your preferences.
Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 18.47.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree it would be better to export as a PDF then import into Photoshop.

If this is something you do frequently you can make a PDF preset in InDesign. I suggest using no colour conversion, embed profiles, export images as TIF with no downsampling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott, thank you for your answer, but for my workflow I would prefer to copy paste. It's not a matter of exportation, I just need to use some designs as a backgroud to modify elements in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I converted the Applescript ot JavaScript, so it should run on either OS. Have tested on OSX with CC2021, so I’m not sure if there are any Windows problems. You can download it here:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/5aa6cfc2-d1bf-47e1-6b6b-70aec58f38b5

Here the thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-layers-to-photoshop-js-version/td-p/11484245?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob, that's cool. No clue about how to use scripts, honestly, but I will check. In any case, I would like to know what have changed in the new versions that make impossible what was pretty intuitive versions ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. Yes, it could be an option to export in jpg, but I would prefer to understand why I can't do it with the new versions. On the other hand, I usually work with both programs at the same time and for me is faster to just copy paste from one program to the other without generating extra files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find out something. It seems that the layers are pasted in the invert order for some reason, so if in indesign there is an image as a background an there are elements over it, the image "covers" the elements once you paste in photoshop (there are no layers in photoshop cause the file is exported in the clipboard as a pdf, but the effect is that the image "covers" the rest of the elements). I say so because if in indesign the image in the background is placed below another element, when I paste them I see both the image and the element in photoshop. I don't understand why and how to change this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines