• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy Paste buttons not working

Contributor ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've come across an annoying bug in InDesign, as I'm unable to copy paste, or option/alt drag an interactive button to copy it.

Doing the action does do something, as there's a very small bounding box and you can see the item in the layers panel, but there's nothing visible on the artboard/page. If I change the button to a symbol (as opposed to an interactive button) it works...

I've trashed the preferences but no luck...any ideas fine Adobe InDesign users? 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

If it's just that document, try the IDML route.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you have the button selected and not just an object that's part of it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for asking Bob, but yup...I've even dragged it to it's own solo layer and it still won't allow it. Pretty sure it's a bug with interactive buttons. I should've mentioned that the troublesome buttons have a rollover element...bog standard buttons aren't an issue.

(InDesign v18.3)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

18.3 hasn't hit the US yet so I tried it on 18.2.1 and it works fine. You can try rolling it back to see.

Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah...well I'd recommend holding back on updating if you're happy with the current version. It seems to like pausing on document scrolls.

My work-around was to turn the buttons to symbols (and then undo the button to symbol action so i've at least got one button to use as reference), paste the symbol, and keep that as a master element to copy.

hmmmm...I tried to recreate a simple button in a new document and that works fine. So it might be a document related thing rather than a program thing; which is odd. But at least once this one's out of the way, it should work 🙂 

Thanks for trying to help Bob - it's really appreciated 🙂 but as it seems isolated to a document I'll stop taking up your time. Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's just that document, try the IDML route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damnit! I used to do that when I got issues in the past and forgot...that's solved it! 

Thanks Bob. You're awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind explaining what you mean by  the "IDML Route"? This problem is doing my box in. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really simple... Go to save as, and in the file type area at the bottom of the save window, choose idml 🙌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IDML did nothing for me. What an awful bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines