Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy + Paste not working on InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For years I've not been able to use the CMD + C and CMD + V shortcut keys to copy and paste anything in InDesign. I'm able to copy and paste via the menu but nothing else.

The shortcut keys work fine on any other program on my Mac it's just InDesign which isn't working.

When I paste using the shortcut keys the previous copied content is pasted indicating that the clipboard hasn't saved my most recent copy.

It's not a massive issue but it does slow the fluidity of my workflow slightly.

It's a strange issue that I can't seem to find a solution for online.

Anyone have any idea?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Try trashing your InDesign preferences.

To do so on a Mac:

The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key presse

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John:

Sometimes other applications interfere with the InDesign shortcut keys. Here's how to narrow it down:

1. Close InDesign, shut down the computer and restart. Only open InDesign. Are the shortcut keys working again?
  2. If not, take a look at the apps that autoload when you reboot, visible on your Mac in Sys Prefs > Users and Groups > Login items. Disable those and reboot. Are the shortcut keys working again?

We have found that malware apps and anti-virus apps are the most likely culprits, but also browser extensions.

Examples:

Resize Proportionately NOT WORKING!!

Proportional Scaling

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your InDesign preferences.

To do so on a Mac:

The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately none of these methods have worked.

Anything else I can try?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do other keyboard shortcuts work in InDesign? Cmd S for save, Cmd Z for undo?

Are you using a clipboard manager?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried playing with any of the settings in the Clipboard Handling section of the Preferences?

Perhaps also confirm the keyboard shortcuts are assigned correctly

Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Product Area > Edit Menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes other keyboard shortcuts do work in InDesign e.g. CMD+S etc

I'm not using a clipboard manager.

The keyboard shortcuts are all assigned correctly too.

Still nothing though.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO you have any third party extensions running either with InDesign or with the operating system? If so, turn them off and see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill's idea is a good one.

Reboot your computer. Turn off your start-up applications and open InDesign first. See if the problem persists. One of the applications or browser extensions may be interfering with your modifier keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also happened to me too about a week ago. Copy and paste OK in InDesign (copy and paste image within a single document), but when trying paste image copied from InDesign to Photoshop (and Text Edit), the previous copied image was inserted. Repeatedly. But it was only a rare incident, newer before and after. Restart helped. Mojave 10.14.3 and InDesign 14.0.1. I use no clipboard manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered this problem using InDesign 2019 on my iMac.  Bizarrely, I have one document where copying and pasting works, and another where it won't.  Can't discern what's different, and have tinkered with those preferences.

. . . but I discovered a workaround, which is too go into Preferences > Type and enabling "Drag & Drop" editing in Layout mode.  So instead of using the keystrokes, I just select and drag.  In my situation this is as good, though it's frustrating to run into this puzlzling glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As per your query, copy-paste doesn't work on a particular InDesign file. Will it be possible for you to share the file? I will try to troubleshoot it at my end.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks — it’s really not my file to give out — I just perform some extraction of text into a catalogue database once a year, so it’s not a huge deal. puzzling thouggh!

(The drag&Drop is actually preferable in my situation anyhow)

But thanks!

albert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2019 Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that quitting the abobe menu extension fixes the problem for me. (The adobe icon near the date/sound icon in the upper right menu bar)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding that the copy and paste issue is a problem when the original file was a different indesign version.  If I start a document from scratch, it works fine.  I really do not want to rebuild all of my files, so a solution to this issue would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue! Can't share the files as it's work and also can't control which versions other people make stuff on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello y'all! 
I am experiencing the issues the OP has described and have tried all the suggested solutions in this conversation without success. Are there any things that someone can recommend to me from a 2022 standpoint?

I'm working on macOS Big Sur, Version 11.6 with Indesign up to date (17.0.1).
Not using a clipboard manager. 
I've tried deinstalling Indesign completely or to downgrade to older versions.
It's not working on any indesign file, cmd-x, cmd-s, however are working.
Just as the op describes, the pasting itself also works, but only previously taken things get pasted, not what I try to grab with cmd-c.
I've deleted the preferences, checked to file handling settings, checked the keyboard shortcuts, asked designers that work with Indesign.
Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the exact same problem, but this workaround sorted it out:

1) Open the .indd file. If asking for missing fonts or links, do not change/update those.
2) Save the file as .idml and close Indesign.
3) Reopen Indesign and open the .idml

4) Copy and paste a text block (or other item).
5) Save as .indd with a new name
6) Open the 'new' .indd file and knock yourselves out with editing.

This worked for me at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey - thanks for your reply, but it is not limited to a single file, this is all across Indesign in every file. 
I am having this problem for months now and I've basically just incorporated the extra step of going to the menu and to select "copy" every time I want to copy something. Hurts me a wee bit every time I have to do this because it's extremely annoying to have a software problem for no apparent reason with something that should just NOT happen... but oh well, I also need to do my work 🤷🏼‍:female_sign: Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines