Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy/paste - wrong style

Engaged ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have 2 InDesign CC documents. Now I have to copy some text and pictures from the one to the other. In both of them there are the same paragraph- and charachter-styles. After pasting the elements, the paragraph style is marked but with a little cross because deviations have arisen. And I have no idea why and how?

The typo changes in another font.

I tried changing preferences (clipboard). Nothing.

The styles in both documents are inside folders. And in all the other cases it worked...

Any idea?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked to make sure that every paragraph and character style is completely identical and that there are no instances within the text in which the style has been in any way altered? This includes the Basic Character paragraph style for both documents upon which the styles may have been based when they were created. When text from one document has the same style name as an existing style in a second document then it will get the style from the second document automatically applied to it which would be why the + appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill. Thank you for answering.

The para-styles in the newer doc have been imported from the older one. So they are identic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can pause with your mouse over a style override (where you see the + in the style name) to see what the override is. That might help diagnose the issue.

InDesign CC013.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve.

Nice hint. But in my case not the solution. I can recognize, that the font has changed, but not how or why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cmoke73 ,

did you build the source document and the target one?
Or were they delivered from a "unknown" source?

Maybe the source was from a MENA doc or a Japanese doc and the target from an English localized version of InDesign?

( Or the other way around. ) That's one of the reasons where something in the basic style, the [No Paragraph Style] could be different. And that would perhaps show as override on a style imported and that is based on the [No Paragraph Style] style.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe.

I´ve built both docs by myself. Only the target one is older, and had older styles. But I deleted´em and imported the newer styles. It is not the first time I´ve done this, but the first time it annoys me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cmoke73 ,

did you find out what exactly the deviations were?

Was the paragraph style based on [No Paragraph Style] or on [Basic Paragraph Style]?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference is the font (Minion Regular instead Clan OT News). And sometimes the letter spacing.

All paragraph styles based on [No Paragraph Style].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with a magazine INDD.

Did you find a solution?

File 1 is 'old' and contains formatted text (text with paragraph-/text-styles) for a complete magazine.

File 2 is a new doc, loaded with the masterpages and paragraphstyles from file 1 by copying pages from file 1.

Ik can normally copy formatted/paragraph-styled text between files without problems (since INDD2.0).

But now pasting formatted text from file 1 (in font: Hansom) into file 2 changes the font into Minion Pro.

I have adjusted it maually now.

Copying into an new copy of file 2 works fine.

I hope for a long time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had this issue before, and ended up having to adjust it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that´s what I did too, unfortunately.

Maybe one will come to a solution here in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi cmoke73 ,

hm…

I can see a way with first importing all styles using the menu command for that.

With that you can synchronize all properties of a style to an existing one.

After that all styles of the two documents should be the same.

From my German InDesign. Import styles using incoming definitions:

UsingIncomingDefinitions-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines