• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create an email in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to export an email from InDesign for a client, but images fail to appear, and centred text appears justified, when I export. (See below.)

When I export to HTML, I select Images and then make Copy Images: Link to Server Path, enter the https:/website and delete all text from the File Extension field.

I get a warning saying there are 2 unresolved hyperlinks (which I checked -- they are all green and working).

It also says: External Text Anchor is not found:15

I don't understand what this means. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks!

Email screenshot as in design mode.jpg

Email as HTML.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost everyone agrees: InDesign is NOT built for creating emails.

You're using the wrong tool for the job, and you'll never be happy with the result. It's like using a hammer to saw a board!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve -- Noted -- Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create HTML Newsletters in Dreamweaver but it's a big learning curve as, unlike coding a web page, HTML emails need to display well on old email software such as Outlook or Mac Mail, as well as adapt to smartphone and tablet screens. Have a look instead at something like MailChimp: Marketing Automation - Sell More Stuff | MailChimp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek

Agreed -- I use Mailchimp for other clients but this one wants it created as a stand alone thing. I thought the client wanted an interactive PDF which is why I created it in InDesign, but they're saying they want it as an email - which is where I'm getting stuck...

I've used Lynda.com before (more for FCP editing training) which is really good! But is the 'Creating an HTML newsletter' tutorial about creating it in InDesign, or another program? (The overview doesn't specify the program it's using.)

Thanks so much for your help Derek!

Emma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No not InDesign, but a text editor, there are a number Coda is a good one (but not free): Coda

(Interactive PDF is different – it's not an HTML Newsletter!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Derek -- appreciate the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you consider to use Publish Online functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Will. Yes I've tried that too but all the images & text mix up - ends up looking quite like the HTML email. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to go the route of creating your own, Lynda.com have an online video tutorial on how to create a simple HTML Newsletter (you can get a 30-day free trial): Creating an HTML Email Newsletter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Derek that creating an email like this is infinitely easier using MailChimp or similar product. My only experience is with MailChimp, but I recommend it highly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines