• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a notebook for work

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a notebook for my job that I use everyday.  It's a small pocketsize spiral bound book.  It of course through daily use begins to come apart and I have to reprint it and every few months.  I'd like to recreate it digitally.  I have indesign and am watching some videos on clickable tabs and hyperlinked tables of contents and that looks great.

My question is what is a good page size to start with.  My intention is to export the notebook to pdf so I can just pull out my phone to see what product to pull for a case or look up what to charge. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Interesting project.

Assuming that you want to view the book on your smartphone, I'd start with what size and type of file works on a smartphone.

That leaves you with 2 file format options:

• PDF viewed with Adobe Acrobat Reader for mobile (see https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/mobile.html). This app has a Liquid Mode which splits apart a multi-column PDF into a single, scrollable column that looks and acts like an EPUB.
  • Reflowable EPUB viewed with an EPUB viewer for your smartphone OS (see some ap

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

You might want to look at Microsoft OneNote. It comes with Microsoft Office 365 on Mac and Windows; also, there is a free version that comes with Windows 10 (although not a full-featured as the Office version). It's available for phones too.

It's a really good note-taking program. Your notes are shared when logged into the same Office account.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting project.

Assuming that you want to view the book on your smartphone, I'd start with what size and type of file works on a smartphone.

That leaves you with 2 file format options:

Both file formats can be created from an InDesign layout.

RE size, both formats are designed to be responsive to your device; that means they will reflow your text when you use a larger font and adjust the content's layout to fit your phone's screen dimensions. The concept of a "page" often isn't relevant because everything should adjust to what you need on-the-fly. So an exact size/dimension isn't really needed.

But you should choose a basic portrait orientation, and any of InDesign's default layouts for Mobile. Since new smartphones are averaging between 400  - 600 ppi resolution, I'd choose the largest pixel dimensions so that graphics appear crisp on the screen.

New Document Set-up for Mobile.New Document Set-up for Mobile.

I'm sure our colleagues here will have more suggestions for you.

One more from me: make sure to use Paragraph and Character Styles for all of your formatting. When manual formatting is used rather than styles (that is, selecting font size, etc. from the top Control Panel or the new Properties Panel), it really mucks up the file's ability to reflow and flex to your smartphone. It kills the file's "responsiveness."

Good luck with your project!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.  That was a lot more information than I was expecting.  Thank you so much.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to look at Microsoft OneNote. It comes with Microsoft Office 365 on Mac and Windows; also, there is a free version that comes with Windows 10 (although not a full-featured as the Office version). It's available for phones too.

It's a really good note-taking program. Your notes are shared when logged into the same Office account.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm.  Ok I'll take another look at one note.  I think I'm mesmerized by the videos of people making planners with clickable links and tabs. Maybe I'm making a simple notebook overly complicated.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines