• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Cookbook with data merge

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem may be a simple one but it is driving me crazy! I am trying to create a family cookbook. I have all my recipes in an excel spreadsheet. When data merging, fields that have only one line merge just fine, but my fields with say directions (which is like a paragragh) nothing shows up. Please help!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeige mal deine Excel-Datei. Die Excel als .xls speichern.

Viele Grüße
Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.xls doesn't work with data merge, unless I'm doing something wrong. Here is my file Merge Issues.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to find/replace the carriage returns with a character or symbol inside Excel. I typically use an AT (@) symbol, but it can be anything not used for text you intend to keep.

!Make a copy of your Excel file!

So inside Excel, press ctrl+h

This opens the find/replace dialog.

In the Find field, press ctrl+j

It will appear empty but you can just barely see what looks like a period in it.

In the Replace field, type your symbol, say the @ sign.

Then use Replace All.

You'll be able to do the merge, then in ID you can replace the character used to represent the return character to an actual hard return.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac so my controls are slightly different but I get what you are saying, thanks I'll try that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the adding the @SIGN in Excel then how that shows all items when doing the data merge. However, in ID, how do you then replace the @ sign with a Line Break? Any help with that step would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You use Find/Change after the merge...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines