• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating nest styles after soft return

Contributor ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello every one. I find myself making a lot of catalogues and menus. I am just getting familiar with nested styles. I was wondering if any one could point me in the right direction to make a nested style that accomplishes this format.Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 11.51.41 AM.png

Right now I use a paragraph style for the first line and a character style in order to make the title larger and bolder. Then for the second line I use another paragraph style for the description on the second line. Is it something I could accomplish with a nested style instead of two paragraph styles? I didn't see any way to have a nested style start after a soft return? Or maybe have one that starts on the second line? I am using Indesign CC on a Mac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Hi,

I know of two easy ways to do that...

1. Using one paragraph style and one character style : nested style

Just like what you described. Create a paragraph style and apply the bold character style to the first line. Since the two lines are part of separate paragraphs you do not need two paragraph styles(as below)

2. Making two styles one for line 1 and one for line 2 and separating those lines using a hard return so that they become two paragraphs

In the paragraph style one, use the next style opt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd set the nest up as none to $ and then the character style for the price.

The second line should be its own paragraph style. You can set the first style up to be followed by the second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Piece of cake. I am assuming the numbering is not automatic, but if it is the style can be easily adjusted. The only change to the copy you need to do is use a forced line break (Shift + Return) instead of a carriage return after the price.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 11.27.35 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you name "soft return" is the forced return in InDesign, shift-return. There is no such thing as a soft return. The term forced return/Line Break you will find in the format options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know of two easy ways to do that...

1. Using one paragraph style and one character style : nested style

Just like what you described. Create a paragraph style and apply the bold character style to the first line. Since the two lines are part of separate paragraphs you do not need two paragraph styles(as below)

2. Making two styles one for line 1 and one for line 2 and separating those lines using a hard return so that they become two paragraphs

In the paragraph style one, use the next style option to add the paragraph style for line 2

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to watch a video tutorial about using Nested Styles:

http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2013/08/indesigns-super-styles/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines