Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-reference errors

Guru ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i have a 70 page layout with six articles, each article has its own references and I have them in heir own style. I received the file back from a co-worker, they didn't used the cross-reference panel for working with references and now I have all red flag everywhere.

how do fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

i went over them all and re made them since paragraph styles were applied in the wrong place also.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan:

There is an Update Cross References button at the bottom of the Cross-Reference panel. Click it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trired that, yes, none updated. I went over they styles I had on the references and they were applied wrong and or not applied. I fixed that but nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did they actually break the links, Jonathan? If you click a link with a red circle in the Cross-Refs panel, and then click the Go to Source and Go to Destination buttons, what happens?

If they really broke them, then I'm with Sandee. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I click on them I go to the page, however, I double click on the, the panel opens, and the reference is not set up nymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning, Jonathan:

The x-ref marker looks like a blue colon when non-printing characters are gone. Did the co-worker remove them? That's how InDesign tracks the reference.

Screenshot 2018-06-21 07.30.17.png

I was thinking about this last night. Surely you have a copy of the file prior to sending it out? If it were me, I'd explain how x-refs work and have her re-edit the document with hidden characters visible. That seems more straight-forward than having her try to fix them after she broke them.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i went over them all and re made them since paragraph styles were applied in the wrong place also.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ugh. Well, glad you are back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show the co-worker what they did. Explain what the red flags mean. Teach the person to fix the xRefs. Have the co-worker fix the xRefs. One. . .item. . .at. . .a. . .time.

Sent from my iPhone

So pardon the brevi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines