Exit

cross reference page numbering not working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 9.46.23 PM.png

Does any know why my cross referencing doesn't work for the document I am working on? The cross reference does not display the page number but a blue symbol instead

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wllmchiu123:

Your x-ref is defined simply as "page" which means it is working as defined.

Double click the word "page" to the left of the green light, and either choose an x-ref format from the Format list, or use the pencil button to edit one to use the wording that you would like. Maybe start with Format: Page Number.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm no effect  on the document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 12.03.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, your cross reference name should show as "Page #" but your show's only "page". Insert the cross reference again with the format "page number" Kindly check again. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 4.17.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the sequence (my first step is double-clicking the word "page" in the x-ref panel).

example.gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly this same problem. When I show hidden text a very narrow blue line shows where the page number should be showing up, but isn't (at point of badly drawn red arrow pointing down and to the right). I've been researching this for three hours now and the only solution I've found is "layout the book from scratch" but I'm not confident even that will work.

The Cross Reference Format doesn't seem to matter. Everything else works (like the source text, etc.) with cross references, but any format that contains "<pageNum />" will not render the page number. This is true on both text anchors and paragraph anchors. This makes me think the problem is with page numbers, not cross references, though the automatic page numbering to render the page number from the master page works fine.

Any solution that fixes page number rendering would be greatly appreciated. Without it, cross references are basically useless to me.

PageNum.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

*down and to the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines