• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 with Mac High Sierra

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using CS4 Creative Suite for several years and with every system upgrade I worry that I won't be able to continue using it.  (I don't use it regularly but I have important documents that I need to access periodically).  I just updated my MacBook Pro to the latest OS, High Sierra.  During the installation, I was prompted to upgrade Java to be able to use InDesign which I did and that installation was successful.  Today, I tried to open an InDesign doc.  In Design opened (finally) but the doc did not open (the name shows up at the top of the window, but nothing else is visible.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

You should be aware that even current software will (and in the Case of CC 2017 InDesign DOES) have potential problems running on the first version of a new OS. CS4 has not been supported for at least two versions of the Mac OS so the only probable way that you'll be able to fix this is to roll back your OS (I think Yosemite was the last version to support CS4 but I could be wrong about that).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can keep dreaming if you'd like but Adobe did nothing to change CS4 so I don't see why you think this is their issue. This one's on Apple and I stand by my statement. Nobody still using CS4 is a customer, let alone a loyal one.

The answers don't change. Roll back your O/S, subscribe to Creative Cloud or switch to a new page layout application. Those are the facts. I'm sorry you don't like them.

Finally, it's worth noting that there have actually been more versions of InDesign released AFTER CS4 than there were before it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you! This software wasn't cheap. Fortunately, Apple fixed their bug. It works fine for me in High Sierra 10.13.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! Well, upward to the Cloud and onward. Thanks BobLevine for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@batnert
Thank you, Your reply/comment worked perfectly, I didn't even have to restart...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastico ho risolto tutti i miei problemi......grazie per questa spiegazione molto semplice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i downloaded CS4.dmg file from adobe high Sierra did not recognise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As pointed out over and over again, CS4 is not supported under High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

careful how you use your one bullet barney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't comment on the entire CS4 suite, but I was able to install Photoshop CS4 on a fresh install of MacOS 10.13.2 just now. I downloaded the MacOS installer, copied it onto an external USB drive, booted from that drive, then ran the installer. It took two tries, but that got 10.13.2 onto the MacBook Pro 17 inch, early 2011. I verified that the 250Gb internal SSD had been upgraded to the new APFS using the Disk Utility. I used a CD with the Photoshop CS4 installer copied onto it. I had to install the trial version because the installer would not accept the registration code. On first launch of Photoshop, I got a dialog telling me that I'd also need to install a legacy version of Java, and a link to it. Here's the link:

Download Java for OS X 2017-001

The download and install of the legacy Java went fine, and when I relaunched Photoshop, it behaved normally. It opened a dialog box that allowed me to enter the registration number, which was accepted. I created a new file, opened an existing gif file, resized it, blurred it, cropped, then "saved it for web" at a different resolution, and all went fine. No blank windows, no hangs, no other alterations to Photoshop or system settings.

Photoshop CS4 is the only app I don't intend to upgrade, primarily because I only use it for a few simple operations and I don't want anything to do with Adobe's new Cloud based services. There's also the cost factor.

Hope this helps somebody else out there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are going to struggle once Apple remove support for 32-but apps, sometime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advice in this thread is misleading. I've used Photoshop CS4 in every version of OS X since I bought it. I was having problems with High Sierra, but Apple fixed the bug in the OS. It works fine for me in High Sierra 10.13.6.  In previous versions of 10.13 it was working too but it crashed when trying to save a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what exactly does Photoshop working have to do with InDesign working?

Two completely different applications with completely different code bases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well at least we can be absolutely sure it won’t work in Mac OS 10.15 (next year). Apple have promised it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And everyone will blame Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, obviously it’s Adobe’s fault. Because when Adobe announced the only bus in town was subscriptions, and the bus left, Adobe didn’t wait for their loyal customers who paid their fare for a different bus 10 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines