• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Damaged Indesign File

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a damaged InDesign file. I have tried renaming it. I have tried copying it. I went to my backup disk and loaded a previous version file from my archive (from before I had the problem) but that also now acts as if it is damaged. I am unable to save the file to PDF (InDesign crashes) and the other controls in InDesign don't work as they should when any version of the file is open. I have spent a long time on the file - any ideas on how I can rescue it?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

I managed to find a solution myself. I cut the main text flow and pasted it into a new blank document then pasted it back into the problem document. The drop caps needed some adjustment but apart from that it was all as it should be. It has behaved perfectly since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this on either your current file or your backup file: Saving as IDML can sometimes remove corruption from a file. Choose File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or Later [IMDL]. Tthen open the IDML file in InDesign and see if the corruption has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Steve Werner suggested - you can try to Save As or Export as IDML - not sure if there is a difference.

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to find a solution myself. I cut the main text flow and pasted it into a new blank document then pasted it back into the problem document. The drop caps needed some adjustment but apart from that it was all as it should be. It has behaved perfectly since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Elaine2433061997kf ,

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. For future reference, as others suggested, you can also save the file as IDML. For more information, you can check this article. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or issues.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Elaine, how does that page solve the problem? I read it and don't understand.

I am looking for a solution to the error where it says ID could not save your file, we tried but there is an error. This happens even with a new file in ID2023. Is it a bug or a 'known issue'? It seems to have been around for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines