Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge CSV file format problem

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using InDesign CC on a Windows 10 PC, and using Excel 2016 to generate data for a Data Merge operation in InDesign.

In amongst the myriad options for saving the data, Excel provides me with these options for saving files into a CSV format:

• CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited) (*.csv)
  • CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv)
  • CSV (Macintosh) (*.csv)
  • CSV (MS-DOS) (*.csv)

Depending on which of those options I use I am finding either the data becomes altered by the CSV format, or InDesign rejects the format.

I have some cells which have 'special' characters such as the degrees sign '°', or a plus/minus sign '±' (e.g. the cell might have 36° or ±15° or ¼). There are many such symbols I use, and whilst sometimes I add these via the Character Map function in System Accessories, but most usually via the keyboard (for instance, a key combination such as 'Alt+0188' creates a ¼ symbol on a PC).

The CSV UTF-8 file retains this 'special' character data, but InDesign rejects the file and tells me "The data source file you selected either has no records or is not a supported file format. Please fix the file, select a file that contains records, or select a supported file type". If I use the CSV or CSV (MS-DOS) format the special characters get changed (e.g. '°' becomes 'Ø'). I haven't tried the Macintosh version yet, however I'm not that keen to try it just in case I'm introducing weird issues with a Mac type file on a PC environment.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

I've gotten the best results using a tab-delimited text file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Thank you Beado1!!!! Saving as .xls first finally did the trick for me after spending 2 hours troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, for my part the best solution that I find and that works very well is the TXT file export with a separation by commas.

I have always had problems exporting with Excel and the software versions do not respond in the same way.

Maybe there are other solutions but for me it works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

That.^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Yes, I thought about it from a different angle and figured that the issue was really in the export of the data where the info was being interpreted in a way that I didn't want it to.

I searched Excel forums and found that if you save the spreadsheet of data as an *.xls file, not an *.xlsx file, and then export to a *.csv (Comma Delimited) file then there was no alteration of the special characters and of course InDesign happily accepted the file.

I have, as you suggested, tried a tab delimited text file export from the *.xlsx file, and that keeps the special characters, so your answer is correct.

It works for me here; I'm not used to outputting tab delimited files as I have a WordPress site that I have to export out spreadsheet data in CSV format, so I lean that way, but I have the same issue on that side of things. Now at least I have found a way to export out to a CSV file that doesn't corrupt the information! Win - Win!! Thanks to all who responded!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Beado1!!!! Saving as .xls first finally did the trick for me after spending 2 hours troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines