• Global community
    • Language:
      • Deutsch
      • English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Data Merge csv weird character conversion ' = ‚äô - SOLVED

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've googled for a solution many times over years so now I've figured it out I thought I'd share.

When using a CSV file in Datamerge, all characters like ' & !£$%^&*) come out as weird text like "‚äô" so usually I reluctantly find and replace these odd characters with intended ones but one always slips to print and I don't like this unsolved hacky solution. Now I've found a way!

Here's what works for me:

  1. Use excel (or what ever you prefer) to create your spread sheet of data - this is your master
  2. When your done, save a new copy as a TAB seperated value file (TSV)
  3. Open this in Text Edit (or what ever you prefer)
  4. Save as
  5. Set UTF-16 NOT 8, include UTF16 in the name you save it as, so you know which one to load into Indesign
  6. Select source data in indesign use the UTF16 text doc you just made
  7. To update, edit the master document and go through steps 2 - 6 again, you shouldn't need to re do placeholders in Indesign.

This works for me using Google Sheets, Text Edit (MAC) and Adobe Indesign CC 2015 on iMac El Capitan 10.11.6

Comment if this works for you!

Views

5.3K

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what does the .csv file look like? are there empty values with commas after them. hidden merged cells will create extra spaces in the .csv file. using text wragler you can quickly clean up your .csv file.

a clean .csv file is important from my past experiences.

ex:

title;

entry,

entry,

entry.

....

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue wasn't spaces but the conversion of intentional characters, for example it replaces apostrophes "'" with "‚äô" and this happens for most symbols I want to use in my text.

The method I've posted uses TSV instead of CSV, and then TXT.

Works for me!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

After a long winter, I've finally found a way. I'm using Apple Numbers and decided to test all .CSV encodings. The only one that worked was "Western Mac OS Roman".

The only extra step was to convert ";" to "," because my Numbers export with ";" (I can't find a way to change it).

Hope it helps.

Luiz

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me, thank you!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines