Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data merge not recognizing text from csv

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm trying to do a data merge trial, from a simple excel .csv, with some text and a picture, before moving onto a much larger scale merge. However, when I merge into InDesign, the merge considers the text as a picture and is then not showing the text as image and is showing the below error message. Any help would be massively appreciated! I don't know if it's a problem with my InDesign or my spreadsheet...??

issue.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

The reason the merge is seeing the text as a picture is that you have named all of your columns with an initial @ symbol. 

Remove the @ symbol from the columns that should be text. That symbol at the start of a column header tells InDesign that the column contains image names and/or paths. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the images all in the same folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason the merge is seeing the text as a picture is that you have named all of your columns with an initial @ symbol. 

Remove the @ symbol from the columns that should be text. That symbol at the start of a column header tells InDesign that the column contains image names and/or paths. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AMAZING! Thank you so much, worked a treat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, that the image files must be in the same folder with the data source file, your currently used csv file, if the data there is not using file paths and just file names.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The images are actually working and are in the same folder as the csv file. It's just the other columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines