Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge Page Break

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am creating a catalog and there are over 1000 pages in the document. I have created the data in excel organized it all properly and merged it into InDesign all fine, however, for the different categories within the catalog I want categories to start on a new page so that means starting a new page within a data-merged document.

How is this done?!

Shown an image in basic terms how do I start a new page within a merged document?

Any help/ Guidance would be appreciated!

[Image with proprietary information deleted by moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it can be done natively.

Can you chop up the Excel file into multiple sheets, one per category, and then do separate data merges?

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did try doing that and it can be done splitting the excel files, but then how would I bring all the separate merged documents together and create a TOC for many different documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Combine them in a single InDesign book. InDesign's TOC generator can generate a TOC based on all documents in a book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Catalog - Automated Publishing - YouTube

You may need an external splice. As far as I know it's a paid add-on. Smart Catalog

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above helped you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help with the same question.

I want to add a page break in the Data Merge document through CSV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-read the answers above. You cannot use InDesign's Data Merge to add page breaks; it does not have that sort of complex capabilities. 

You can do as was suggested by @Tá´€W above, and do separate merges joined in an InDesign Book file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If there is some sort of header for each section you might be able to defijne a paragraph style for the header paragraph that has a Keep Option to start on next page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines