• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data merge with comma - problem after upgrading to CC 2019

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making a lot of personalisation to invitations. Few days ago I updated Indesign to 2019 version and it started a big problem with data merge. I'm creating data in excel and it was saved as a tab-delimited txt file. When I do the data merge on pages with comma it only shows part of text before comma... I tried saving with quotation marks and it didn't change anything.

How can I solve this problem?

for example:
data looks like this:

Bez nazwy-2.jpg

saved to tab-delimited txt file and after data mege I go file like this:

Bez nazwy-1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Here is a workaround suggestion to try: Create a second column of data in your excel file and export new .txt file. Select the Data Source, but you don't need to assign the 2nd column header.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Problem is solved by Open Office - saving data as .csv and selected "quote all text cells" (and whithout changing character set - it "crashed" polish signs).
50576469_10215963729879069_5661358798455963648_n.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the quotation marks does not solve the issue then maybe you could change the delimiter to a tab and then try. You can change the delimiter by choosing import options when adding data source.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried on InDesign 14.0.1 on Windows and comma with quotation marks worked just fine for me both for comma delimited and tab delimited csv. Seems there is some issue with you csv file. Can you share that across also can you confirm the version of your InDesign is the latest or not.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a workaround suggestion to try: Create a second column of data in your excel file and export new .txt file. Select the Data Source, but you don't need to assign the 2nd column header.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2024 Sep 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! That's worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sebastian,

I would like to know if the suggestions shared above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is solved by Open Office - saving data as .csv and selected "quote all text cells" (and whithout changing character set - it "crashed" polish signs).
50576469_10215963729879069_5661358798455963648_n.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In MS Excel, it worked with this option, UTF-16 Unicode Text (.txt).
Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 11.58.20.png

I realized that in the line that contains comma, he puts quotes.

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 11.58.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines