• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge with Multiple Records Per Page - Repetition of Mostly One Record

New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent about half a day trying to Data Merge about 300 custom donation slips, 3 to a page. Everything looks great in the preview, but when I create the merged document, it repeats just one person's information (usually from line 5), with a couple of other people sprinkled in on the second page. While the person who gets repeated has changed once during my various attempts, I can't tell what is going on or how to fix it. Things I've tried:

• Copying everything into a new document and merging without previewing (attempted multiple times), which has worked for others on here who've had similar questions
  • Making multiple versions of the data source file (tab-delimited .txt, Unicode .txt, CSV that's never accepted by InDesign, deleting most lines, deleting most unnecessary columns, including a version with fake addresses
  • Restarted InDesign (multiple times) and my computer
  • Exported my original .INDD file to .IDML (multiple times overall, only once for this problem)
  • I updated to the latest version of InDesign while trying to resolve other issues earlier the Data Merge process

About

Merging content: numbers in one text box and name/address in another text box

Data source: tab-delimited .txt file, exported from Excel and edited in Notepad/Notepad++, with no errors that I can find. I've shrunk this file to about 20 lines and deleted columns that the merge doesn't require, but that doesn't make a difference. A CSV version won't work at all.

Current InDesign version: 17.2.1

Computer: Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10, SSD that's about 85% full

Attached are a badly-merged PDF (notice that the 4th slip's address combines the repeating record and the real one), a dummy address file, and a screenshot of the pre-merging file. (Note: I removed a couple of text boxes from the master page to reduce clutter.)

Thank you for your help!

P.S. I was about to post this and then found something that works with my dummy file: export to IDML, then copy everything from the IDML into a new document, then create a merged document without previewing. But is there anything easier/simpler out there? Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data Merge is notoriously buggie when using preview. The best advice is to not use preview at all -- just run the merge, but if you feel you must preview, thebest bet is to Undo immediately before running the merge.

Further bad news is that in my experience a template file damaged by running preview cannot be used again, so y9ou will need to copy all of your fields into a new template file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Currently, those steps are not working. I exported to IDML, pasted everything from the IDML file into a new document, attached the data source/created the document without previewing, and still got a bad result. I did this yesterday and today with 3 sets of data (field names remaining the same; I didn't touch those). Can anyone help? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the Indesign file you are using for merge? It is easier to diagnose by examining the file that is having the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I probably should not have said copy the fields. I meant re-create them in a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines