Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Debuguing UXP scripts

People's Champ ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have read the doc where you are told to attach the idjs to the UDT app in order to debug a script. I get to that stage just fine. However, I can't see my console.log calls in the console (nor in the logs files). 

Any ideas about what I am doing wrong here?

Loic

TOPICS
UXP Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Hi @Loic.Aigon , if you open UDT, find your connected app in the list and then click "Debug Script", then select/drop in your script file there and click "Debug", you should see the debugging window open where you can step through the code and see your console.log statements printed etc. I attached screenshots for reference. Also, be sure to also have InDesign running for it to show up in the connected apps list in UDT. When you run your script in InDesign directly, those console statements shou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amandahuang says:

If they aren’t using global await that could be an issue (script finishes running and execution context is destroyed so any logs that may be logged would be destroyed as well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @erinferinferinf 

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Still no sure about it, here is a piece of code from UXP Scripting doc:

const uxpfs = require("uxp").storage;
const ufs = uxpfs.localFileSystem;

try {
    const folder = await ufs.getTemporaryFolder();
    const path = await ufs.getNativePath(folder);
    const metadata = await folder.getMetadata();
    var msg = path; //JSON.stringify(metadata);
    await console.log(JSON.stringify(metadata));
} catch (e) {
    var msg = `Local File system error: ${e}`;
    await console.log(`Local File system error: ${e}`);
}

The code works (I get the result in the document for now) but still no output in the console. 

Am I right to expect the console.log calls to appear in the UDT Debugguer once I run my script within InDesign from the scripts palette? Or did I miss an obvious part of the docs that tell us how to proceed for debugguing and getting the calls to appear in the console?

Thanks in advance,

Loic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Loic.Aigon , if you open UDT, find your connected app in the list and then click "Debug Script", then select/drop in your script file there and click "Debug", you should see the debugging window open where you can step through the code and see your console.log statements printed etc. I attached screenshots for reference. Also, be sure to also have InDesign running for it to show up in the connected apps list in UDT. When you run your script in InDesign directly, those console statements should be getting logged in a file under the <youruserid>/Library/Caches/UXPLogs folder. 

hollyschinsky_0-1667858129308.png

hollyschinsky_1-1667858246844.png

Hope that helps,

Holly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Holly,

It sure helped. Thanks a lot. My mistake was to run the script from within InDesign and expect the debugger to react. Now it's totally clear to me. 

Best,

Loic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @hollyschinsky,

I'm working with the server variant of InDesign and I can't find the path you specified (<youruserid>/Library/Caches/UXPLogs).

Can you please provide the full path for InDesign server?

Shouldn't console.log() also appear on the server console like app.consoleOut() in extendscript?
Or do I need to use a different method?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines