Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dedicated Graphics Card

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am about to upgrade my laptop.  I am hoping to use both Indesign and possibly Adobe Premiere Pro - should I be buying a machine with a dedicated graphics card.  The Asus laptop I've seen comes with an IrisXE graphics card.

I would welcome any advice you have,

Thanks

Lynne

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign isn't all that intensive a user of graphics power, but Premiere Pro certainly would be and it's never a bad idea to have a dedicated graphics card, and as much RAM as you can afford.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Peter
Really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.
Thanks
Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You definitely — I'd say always — want a brand-name video subsystem from the current middling-power lineup. This usually means Nvidia or AMD. Never buy a laptop that's so cheaply configured it's using Intel or base chipset graphics — this "business" level of display is, as it implies, good for Word, Powerpoint and browsers, and not much more. I'd venture that a laptop with Nvidia 2xxx graphics is still in a modest price tier, and all you need for InDesign and moderate Premiere work.

RAM pays off, though. 16GB is a minimum these days. And I don't think many laptops still come with HDDs, but an SSD makes a HUGE difference in performance, so don't save those few dollars of extra cost, if necessary.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI James
I hugely appreciate your feedback. I know I'm probably odd but Ive never
got on with Apple, even though a Macbook might seem the sensible way to go.

I have seen a

Dell XPS 15 9520
Corei7 - 12700
16GB 512GB
RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

Do you think that might do the trick? Perhaps I should be looking at 32GB
instead?

Many thanks
Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a long time since the hardware/OS made any difference. Probably 15 years since "you had to do this on a Mac." (But let's avoid that ancient and pointless argument.) A Windows laptop will be an excellent choice.

Yes, 3000-series graphics are that much better. 16GB is enough on a laptop; I'd argue for 32 on a desktop system simply because it's cheap there. CPU is more than muscular enough. You might want to up that SSD to 1TB, and at least have a slot for a second one if you're going to work entirely from this machine. OS and apps take up a lot of space, and 512 might get a bit tight even with a modest amount of stored work and resources.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have an XPS 15, however, if you expect to keep this system for a while, I would suggest the following in order to future-proof your purchase:

i9 processor

64 GB RAM (for video)

2 TB SSD

Ge the best video card they offer for the model you select. The model I was looking at offered an RTX 4070 with 8GB.

Also, Dell offers multi-year hardward and accident coverage. I usually get 4 years on my systems.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines