• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dialog question

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a dialog that customers will encounter when running a page prep script on their documents.

Two of the fields will contain the same information (one field for the ticket # and the other for the customer name), and I would like for the dialog to retain the info in those fields so that the customer doesn't have to enter this same info hundreds of times.

Any ideas on how to retain the info?

Thanks,

Seth

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Write the values in a text file, stored in the directory from which the script is run. When the script starts, read the stored values from the text file and insert them in the dialog. Provide default values in the script for when the file can't be found (and for the first time the script is run).

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use the insertLabel and extractLabel methods in order to write information on a per-document basis, that gets saved within the document whenever the document is saved.

I'm not sure what the maximum size of that label is, though.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the script always runs in the same document, then Ariel's suggestion is much better (easier to implement, quicker). Keyed labels can contain quite some text -- 32Kb I think.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> Keyed labels can contain quite some text -- 32Kb I think.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the limit is much, much higher than that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, insertLabel() is really good solution,

you can find more info here: http://bit.ly/bxITfo

--

tomaxxi

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you want to know, if there are labels already used, just export your InDesign file to IDML and have a closer look at "designmap.xml" and the <Properties><Label>-sections.
See also:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2549168#2549168

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines