• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difference with printing CMYK document

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a beginner and in the process of designing a document in InDesign. To my document I want to add an image that has been edited in Photoshop. I have converted the image to CMYK colors and saved it. In both Photoshop and InDesign, I have set the color profile U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. However when the photo is added to InDesign, the color black varies greatly. What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RV-95 , Will your document be printed on a commercial web offset press? Offset inks are somewhat transparent, so the appearance of black ink by itself—the default InDesign [Black] Swatch—will be different than Black plus CMY. You can use InDesign’s Separation Preview panel to check a black’s output percentages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes eventually it will indeed be printed by a commercial press. I also tried to keep the black of InDesign the same throughout, then added an image with a transparent background. But then when converting to PDF a more red color is created. In fact, I want to show the document for review first. Or am I totally messing it up this way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can make CMYK conversions in Photoshop, but it will be more efficient and less error prone if you place profiled RGB images and make the conversion to CMYK on a PDF Export.

Here you can see by default InDesign soft proofs the difference between Black only and Black+CMY. An RGB black will convert to the document’s CMYK profle’s black point:

Screen Shot 12.png

An Export to PDF/X-4, which is a preset designed for offset printing, with the Destination set to DocumentCMYK:

Screen Shot 13.png

In AcrobatPro the Output Preview’s Object Inspector shows the RGB color has been converted to DocumentCMYK—US Web Coated SWOP in this case. The Acrobat preview defaults to the PDF/X Output Intent:

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines