• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different footnote styles on one page

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering how can place different footnote styles on one page in InDesign. In this instance * and Arabic numerals.

For example in a report... (imagine *, **, 1, 2, 3 are all superscript, pink colouring has been applied for easier viewing in this post and is not a character style to be applied in InDesign.

REPORT ON ONLINE MUSIC CONSUMPTION

by Alex Alexander* Sam Samuel**

Introduction

This report was commissioned by the The Intunes1 and the Music Festival Company2. Blah, blah, blah , blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah3, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....

-----------

*    Alex Alexander is a budding trumpet player

**  Sam Samuel is a cellist

1   A vibrant video channel dedicated to enthusiast musicians

2   Incorporated in Fictionland. 

3   Blah blah first entered the music scene in the top 10.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A footnote would operate based on a style. The style could have one kind of numbering; but not two. This leads you to consider manual footnotes if you need a mixture of numbering styles.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding. I understand your point about one or two styles. Normally I only use one style so it is usually fine. The issue is that I am laying out a report and the 'house style' for footnotes is rather legalistic, so names receive asterisks while body copy receives numerals. 

I have pasted a copy of the Auto-Footnotes (below) for you to cast your eye over. Is there a way to add in some rows above where footnote 1 is? Because if I press return and manually type in information above footnote 1 (for Alex and Sam) there is the potential for this to be lost later if footnote 1 is later removed or moved elsewhere in the text. If extra rows can be added that could be an elegant work-around as the asterisks only appear on page 1 of each chapter.

I an not keen on creating lots of manual footnotes as the report contains over 100 pages and on average of 8 footnotes per page. So, if one is later edited it is a big job to change the rest. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Hgau

Footnotes Table.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you want could of course be done! …

As too often, I disagree with the "experts" [ACP label] of this forum!

That could be done with a script! … So just 1 click to update the numbering!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael "The Jedi"!

I am unfamiliar with scripting. I am new to this. Would you be able to help me?

Thanks

Hgau

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you solve it? something like that happens to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Footnotes can be "manipulated"! As here:

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines