Do I really need 250 Plug Ins for InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

First let me state that I'm not an IT person. I've inherited my job from previous graphic artists.

InDesign takes roughly 20 minutes to open, which is crazy, and I can see that it also registers 250 plug ins. I can't magine I'd need so many. How do I know which ones I need and which I don't?

What would happen if I just reset to the basic InDesign app? 

Also I might note that the Plug Ins appear to be buried in the system whereas they used to be easier to locate.

Any assistance would be most appreciated, thank you. 🙂

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

I'd say you've taken over a position formerly filled by one or more plug-in mavens. I can't remember a shop/department that really used more than about 10-12, even if others were kept on file.

I'd do a completely clean installation of ID after making sure you have the sources or links for at least most of those plug-ins. Then plug them in as you encounter legacy docs or tasks that (1) use them and (2) really need them. With that many, I suspect some are functionally outdated or the tasks can b

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say you've taken over a position formerly filled by one or more plug-in mavens. I can't remember a shop/department that really used more than about 10-12, even if others were kept on file.

I'd do a completely clean installation of ID after making sure you have the sources or links for at least most of those plug-ins. Then plug them in as you encounter legacy docs or tasks that (1) use them and (2) really need them. With that many, I suspect some are functionally outdated or the tasks can be achieved with simpler, in-built features.

The one thing you don't want to do, unless you are doing so with complete confidence, is lose, delete or inactivate any plug-ins that are essential to the job's workflow. That may be the biggest hurdle, reviewing all the plugins and making sure you will still have them on hand.

|| Word & InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): a Professional Guide (Amazon)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I will try this and see what happens.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the suggestions shared above and if you need help in doing the clean installation, please try the steps shared here https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html 

For slow performance, you can try the suggestions shared here https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/slow-performance-indesign.html 

Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think people may be assuming that you mean THIRD PARTY plug-ins. It's easy to end up with a lot, and you can get rid of the ones you don't need. However, InDesign comes with a lot of plug-ins. That's how it was made, since InDesign 1.0. It is a small core, and everything else is added through plug-ins, doing all the normal things which you think of as part of InDesign. It was supposed to make it more reliable and maintainable, not convinced but that was the idea. I just looked at InDesign 2017, it has at least 150 plug-ins. DON'T MESS WITH THESE. Not for a second. Don't try to tidy up, or optimize, or decide what you really need. Nothing.

I see InDesign is taking you 20 minutes to open. This is a real problem, but be careful not to make big assumptions about the cause. Everyone has those system plug-ins, and it doesn't take them 20 minutes. So you probably need to look elsewhere for the cause.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was ass/u/ming the OP meant mostly third-party, add-on plugins. On review, I'm not clear which was meant.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long load times are often caused by insufficent hard drive space or memory.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great many "slow load" issues in recent months, particularly on Macs, seem to be related to network access issues, such as taking forever to validate a document's component files or fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I've uninstalled and re-installed ID and it's now only about 6 minutes to open. I did see it's still registering 250 plug-ins, which I'm assuming are all part of the application itself. I'll check other areas to speed up the process. Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A typical load to an empty workspace (no document being opened) is probably... 10 seconds. So there are still issues to look into for a more efficient work day. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What platform ?

How much RAM ?

How much HDD space left ?

What kind of HDD / SSD ?

Do you work over network - permanently connected/shared drives ?

---
Can automate anything - as long as it doesn't require A.I. 😉 and even then 3rd helping hand can be created 😉

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines