Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do InDesign QR Codes expire?

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

When you make a QR code in InDesign do they expire? When you use free generators they will stop the link working after 30 days regardelss of the URL you have linked to is still functional. Are there any limitions like this when using InDesign created codes?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019
Well, an InDesign QR code is just a representation of the URL you input. As long as the URL itself doesn't change, the QR code will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how a static QR code can 'expire'. It's just another way of writing a URL.

Are you thinking of sites that provide a dynamic URL perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I've made static ones on a free generator and after 30 days it stops working because I've not paid for the subscription. I'd assume a company like Adobe wouldn't do this but just better to be safe than sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you link to the site you used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't remember it was a while ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, an InDesign QR code is just a representation of the URL you input. As long as the URL itself doesn't change, the QR code will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a QR code can't stop working, it means that the URL stops working. You should check the actual link in the QR code - not just follow it, which goes with the forwarding. If you don't already know about this, study how link shortening works. Because QR codes work better with less text, link shortening is often recommended or automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link was fine, it was the QR code. I've done some more investigating and it seems it could be the free generators putting redirects on 'free' QR codes. Some forums are saying that you are actually provided with dynamic codes from some generators but told they are static and when you don't join subscribe they re-direct it after so long. When I was using the generators indd didn't have a QR code feature and I've never used them since hence the confusion. I'm sure the Adobe generated ones will fit my needs perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for asking this question. I have used the generators online before and while I don't know how they do it, they do in fact control if it loads the URL or not. I JUST NOW TODAY realized I could make these in InDeisgn, was thrilled! Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uQR .me it expired when the trial expired. I was surprised-I thought as long as the link didn't change but they must adjust something in the QR code itself that is saved on the site-that's all I can think of-Maybe a redirect-just not sure. But I went back to Indesign and found out I could do color in Indesign as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The codes do not, and cannot, change.

But if the link is routed through a short-URL, tracking or redirect provider, it's trivial to change or block any traffic through that link.

It's that simple.

Using a safe, standalone QR generator such as ID's has many data-safety advantages. If then you need or desire to manage its link for future changes, do so on your own website. That way you never pay another dime for 'services' and the link never expires or fails to work.

It's also that simple. Everything else — everything — is marketing deception and BS from the "free code" and "QR link provider" vendors.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I get this QR code updated after the 30 days?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A QR code is static once generated. If the content/data changes, you have to generate a new one. If by "30 days" you mean the expiration of the trial license, then no — the QR code function will be unavailable along with the rest of InDesign. But there are many, many QR code generators available that do the same job. (Better, even, if they've been updated to the 3.0 spec, which ID's has not.)

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines