Exit

Double spread displayed as single pages

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC

Book Layout Document

– InDesign shows the first (roughly) 50 pages of a double spread document as single pages.

– The content of the pages missing is still shown in the pasteboard.

– We did try to update the master page (which is double spread).

– Other pages with the same master page are not affected.

Do you know how we can bring back the left pages of the double spreads?Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-16 um 09.45.59.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Paint me flummoxed.

I agree, it is not supposed to look like that. Even when manipulating Master pages (as you did trying to fix it), usually it would automatically move the content around with the pages.

Try saving as IDML and opening that?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The (right hand) page you've included seems to be one page with illustrations of two double-page spread Placed in it, is that so or maybe I'm misunderstanding it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats right!

The book contains images of double spreads (maybe I chose a confusing image for my question please see in the second image I posted as answer to Jongwares reply).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still confused, but if the document is set up as single pages and you want facing pages, you can use: File > Document Setup > and tick Facing Pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's truly bizarre. I would follow Jongware's advice here - save as an IDML file and open that file - what happens?

Similarly, make a new InDesign file with the same page dimensions, and from the pages palette, import the master pages from the document that is giving all the trouble. Attempt to assemble a page or so in this new file and see what happens.

I suspect there's a corruption in the working file but no way of knowing without trying to replicate the fault here.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us the Pages panel (with these pages in view).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached you find an image of two spreads.

The pages panel shows spreads, but the content of the left page is not visible there.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-16 um 13.19.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paint me flummoxed.

I agree, it is not supposed to look like that. Even when manipulating Master pages (as you did trying to fix it), usually it would automatically move the content around with the pages.

Try saving as IDML and opening that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone!

It seems that the Mac was having problems with it. Exporting as IDML, opening it on another computer, saving, and bringing it back, finally solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are not spreads by the way (left and right pages) those are single pages that are placed next to each other...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sure? Then the page numbers would show as [4,5], not as [4-5], right?

Even so: OP's problem should not happen even when it was laid out that way. (I know you know, but maybe OP thinks it's either a cause or a solution.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/%5BJongware%5D  schreef

You sure? Then the page numbers would show as [4,5], not as [4-5], right?

Even so: OP's problem should not happen even when it was laid out that way. (I know you know, but maybe OP thinks it's either a cause or a solution.)

Ah, yes good one! It shows like that on the screenshot indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines